1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone see this Mike Patrick moment?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Sep 23, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

I didn't find anything wrong with it. He made a joke trying to be funny it didn't work. End of situation.
    You say that your question to me is not trying to be a dick. I'll accept it as so but do you realize that by doing so, you're turning the board into a boots board?
    95 percent of the people, as you say, make a statement and I don't believe you ask them the question that you asked me.
    Why ask me such a question? I can't believe my opinion carries that much weight.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

Jeepers: A moddy DB'ing......

Wow....this should be a 15-yard penalty, and an automatic first down.

3. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

It doesn't carry any more weight to me. Just seemed unnecessary to tell people to move on, or try to bring an end to the discussion. So what if people want to talk about this? It's harmless.

4. We've all heard stupid conversations by announcers but this is the first time I've heard one have a stupid conversation with himself - makes me wonder if Blackledge violated some unwritten rule by not pretending to know what the hell his partner is talking about.

5. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I don't know. But if he did violate some unwritten code, it was perfectly excusable to me.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And for that he got my respect. In a 31-3 game like the Aggies-Canes last Thursday night, sure, you might want to talk about something other than the game and could probably get away with it. But in the middle of overtime between two ranked teams? Huh-uh, no way.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Judging by Mike Patrick and the guy from the Dallas Morning News is Britney the new "black hand", the phrase you have to get over the air or in print to join the club. I mean, the VMAs were two freakin' weeks ago, even crying Britney fan is old news by now.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Tim Brandt was almost as bad on a Chauncey Washington touchdown. He went on and on about Johnson being a sophomore who was in Pete Carroll's doghouse and how he was Offensive Player of the Week in the PAC-10 the week before even though it was Washington who scored.

9. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Write,

In radio it's called "honoring the verbal reality" (I am not making this up). Means if your partner says "I solved the zodiac killings today" you are supposed to treat it as truth.

it's the dumbest thing ever.

10. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Exactly Oz...I have no problem with announcers filling airtime with stupid jokes, etc. But this was OT and completely random.

11. Holy crap.
    Thanks, Dirk.
    That is really astonishing, although it does explain why nobody's yet killed Vitale on the air.

12. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Fen,

When my partner and I heard this on some video seminar the boss wanted us to watch, we just hit pause and stared at each other in amazement. But they were serious.

Since we take a lot of the joy in our lives from catching one another screwing up, we completely ignored this little bit of programming wisdom.

Draft saved Draft deleted