1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone see Norbit?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by da_grand_pubah, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Got an example of the symbolism?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's a black thing. I saw three white kids, probably about 12 years old, giddy as could be with their purchase of Norbit tix on Saturday. I would be that was the majority of the audience -- kids who don't know any better.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Gosh. I hope the symbolism didn't go over their heads.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll bet more white people saw this than "Stomp the Yard" or "Madea's Family reunion"

There are some movies out there that will be virtually ignored by white audiences, but will do incredibly well at the box office.

This is Eddie Murphy, who has been all over the place in the past year. He's nominated for an Oscar and there have been previews for this movie going since the summer.

5. Msaint

Msaint Member

More like making money for da man.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This movie sucked when it was called Shallow Hal and it sucks now.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What about when it was called Big Momma's House?

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have no problem with people making dumb movies or dumb music for dumb consumers.
    Just don't tell me it deserves recognition for artistic value, and the people involved in making such dreck shouldn't refer to themselves as artists.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Still beating "Epic Movie," which has a resounding 2 (Two) % rating on rottentomatoes, and was cruising happily along at Zero Point Zero until some stupid fucker made an attention grab and gave it a positive review.

There are some absolute shit movies on the market right now. Of the top 10 movies in box office this week, I think 6-7 got less than 20% positive reviews.

Normally, I don't worry too much what the critics say. There are plenty of movies rated in the 30-40 percent range which I like just fine. But when everybody -- EVERYBODY -- says a movie sucks moose cock, it's a pretty good bet it does, indeed, suck moose cock.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

That's a sign people have too much spending money.

Wonder what it'll do after the initial week drop-off -- once word-of-mouth spreads.

Murphy's work in Shrek and Shrek II was worth noting, too. Other than that, I don't think I've seen anything with him in it since ... uh ... Coming to America.

11. Look, I never said the plot was anything Steven Spielberg would put in a time capsule and claim it to be the best movie script he's ever seen. I didn't give a rats azz about the plot. All I said was it was damn funny. And everyone in the crowded theater I was in seemed to agree. I'll be the first to admit that "Big Mommas House" and "Big Mommas House II" did nothing for me. I barely laughed. But to dismiss this as just "another movie with a black guy dressing up as a fat black woman. That's original" is ludicrous. Eddie Murphy is laughing all the way to the freakin' bank.

How many movies are really "original" nowadays anyway? Virtually every movie has some sort of plot/character/overblown special efefcts/big beefy dude blowing crap up that people have seen before many of us were even f'in born.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

so you didn't think big momma's house was funny, but you still saw big momma's house 2? yep, there's a reason crap movies make money. stupid people

Draft saved Draft deleted