1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone remember Doug Krikorian?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by poindexter, Oct 15, 2010.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

At one time, he apparently was a sports reporter. Incredibly, today's column, linked below, actually appears in the sports section of the Long Beach Press-Telegram.

http://www.presstelegram.com/sports/ci_16342334

It's a wine and spirits/gossip column. Incredible.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Poindexter: You might have the Press-Telegram sports section in front of you, but are you sure that Krikorian didn't just write this for another section of the paper? And they just left his byline as what he is, a sports columnist?

I'm actually curious now....

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I take back the question.

This is a notes column, and it indeed obviously ran in sports. There are more sports oriented items below.

I don't know, it's slightly strange, but for a general notes column, I don't know that it's unheard of.

Krikorian has been around for years.

4. poindexter

Actually, I don't have it in front of me, my wife subscribes to it, and its at home, if not already in the recyclable trash...

I saw it online, but I am 99.9999% sure this appeared in the sports section. He writes these columns all the time, and they ALWAYS appear in the sports section.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Right, see above. He writes a general "man about town" notes column, and obviously stretches it beyond sports...

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are a lot of gossip/entertainment reporters out there who started in sports.

7. poindexter

His 'man about town" notes stretch to about four bars, and a circle of six or eight drinking buddies, who appear in every column.

Amazing in 2010 that this can still fill a sports section.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I noticed a lot of that in his archives.....

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's pretty bad.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know, we say that -- and I certainly understand -- but in a sense, it's made for 2010 and a small struggling paper. It's absolutely hyperlocal, something you can't get anywhere else ... it's perfect.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Worked for Lewis Grizzard.

12. poindexter

Long Beach, California is the fifth largest city in California, and the 36th largest city in the nation. And racially diverse.

His column covers the following demographic:

Old
    White
    Drunk
    Drinking buddy of his

It's hyperlocal to the nth degree. Half a million population, and his column serves the constituency of drunks residing in six bars.

Draft saved Draft deleted