1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone plan on camping out for a PS3?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Brookerton, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm with Idaho... My kids will never have one of these in our house...

I'm not going to tell them they can't play at their friends', but I'd much rather my son learn about football from catching passes from me in the backyard than by playing Madden...

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

They had a playable PS3 at Best Buy. I played a game of NBA 07 on it. It was ... okay, but nothing to write home about. First-wave games for a new system rarely are.

It's $599 because it also plays Blu-Ray discs, and it's probably the cheapest such player on the market by a large factor. But I don't intend to buy it -- my next system, if I get one, will be the Xbox 360.

And there were a few people starting a line outside when I got there. I thought maybe Best Buy was having a sale on douchebags.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I know some people that are camping, and I think they all intend to sell whatever they can get. It'll be funny if no one actually plans on keeping them, everyone lists them on e-bay and the market goes to crap because of it.

You guys make fun for spending $600 on a game system ... who the hell feels smart after paying 3K for one?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you're buying one to sell it, more power to you...

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

For the Hiltons of the world, that's lunch money.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Just for fun, I looked on the local craigslist
    http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/ele/235087672.html
    $1,600

And in New York
    http://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/ele/235287733.html
    $2,500

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

BS. No one makes more than I do writing high school soccer season reviews for Asscrackburg.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I've been watching e-bay pretty close, and they've been going up. Two weeks ago, there were 1500 or so, then about a week ago they actually dropped, and they were all selling for around 1100 to 1300. They're way up the last couple of days though and I haven't seen one go for less than 1900 today.

I don't have much experience on e-bay ... does anyone know if its actually worthwhile to include other crap, like games and stuff for free? I wouldn't think people would really care about that stuff, that since they're already paying so much more than its actually worth they won't be influnced much by some little extras. But I don't know. A lot of people seem to include that stuff, though I haven't really seen much of a change in price.

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I know its $60 per game.....jeez. Sorry for the poor grammar. Do you think the price for each game will rise for PS3?

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

True story:

I was riding home from work last Thanksgiving when I saw 300 people standing on line at the Sears on Queens Blvd. It was 3 A.M. and the store wasn't going to open for another two hours, and it was a balmy 30 degrees.

I rolled down the window and yelled, "Get a life, you goddamn jackasses."

That sums up my feelings about anyone who camps out for a fucking video game system.

11. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

Well guys, I haven't set up camp yet, but thanks for all the confidence.
    I think it's pretty funny that some people on the board think it's only dorks waiting in line for a PS3 when sports writers are so cool.
    Anyways, I live in Georgia so its not that cold here. Yes it was raining today and that sucks, but it's supposed to pass through tonight.
    There's a few places in town that are not letting people camp out until a certain time, so I'm hoping to get in one of those lines.
    I don't plan to play the PS3, since I don't play video games, but I'm hoping to make a nice chunk of change off of it so I can buy some nice Christmas gifts for my friends and family.

Later

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think we've come to the agreement that if you're camping out to sell it, it's OK. And if you're camping out to go home and play it, you probably live in your parents basement.

Draft saved Draft deleted