1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone out there hate the team you cover?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Registered_Muser, Jan 12, 2007.

1. WSKY

WSKY Member

Never hated the team, but there have been a few players that I could care less to talk to ever again.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Jimmy Connors was a jerk the one time I tried interviewing him after an indoor tennis match for the LA Strings.

3. KP

KP Active Member

I don't think Ron Borges and Bill Belichick are making Saturday evening dinner plans in SD.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Some idiot once bought a Packers blanket. I hate the cover of that team.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Ron Borges - Pats

6. sartrean

sartrean Member

I'm just working as a stringer now, and one coverage area school is doing very well in basketball right now. Surprisingly well. But it's the same ol' kids that played football and won a state championship.

I hate these kids. Their football team is awesome, their baseball team is awesome. Now their basketball team is awesome. I mean, friggin' awesome.

Their athletic director and football coach is a total fucking dickhead idiot. This guy is so fucking stupid it's unreal. He's like a backwoods character off of Andy Griffith and Mayberry.

And these kids are typical, stereotypical high school athletic heroes. Not one kid on any of the teams has higher than a 2.3 GPA, some have records, most can't speak in complete sentences or utter a coherent thought, and if you were to take athletics out of the school, all these kids would drop out tomorrow and spend their time shooting bottles in the yard like that Spike Jonze character did in that George Clooney movie about the stealing gold from the Iraqis.

And I've been assigned their basketball games quite regularly here and I friggin hate everything about this school.

But, I've gotten lots of positive feedback from my bosses on the stories I've turned in. I've even written several features that were unassigned.

I think I've done a good job of keeping my hatred for them out of my copy.

A big problem I got, however, is when I really like a school or a team or some kids on a team, I can't seem to keep that gushing-over-them feel out of my copy.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hate is a strong word, but I really, really, really don't like you.

I really don't like you.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

If they have the right combination of dullness and combativeness, it's very easy to bring the hate.

9. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

as a group - yes. but there's always one or two jerks.

hate is perhaps too strong a word - how about "barely tolerate."

10. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Beg to differ. Sounds like he was very good at the "social" part of social studies :)

11. ^^^ Touche.

Except that he wasn't actually the social studies teacher. I changed the facts to protect his (OK, my) identity. But he definitely was sociable. So sociable, in fact, that the 15- and 16-year-old girls couldn't get enough of him.

Ugh. I think I'm going to puke just typing that.

12. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

That's a really interesting list. One of these things is not like the other ....

Just wondering how Weber State ever gets mentioned on a list with Alabama, Florida and Ohio State.

Draft saved Draft deleted