1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone on LinkedIn? Success Stories? Leads? Jobs?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Brooklyn Bridge, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You're crushing my hope, SF.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Ace, it has never remotely occurred to me that you couldn't work for the Plain Dealer, and do a bang-up job.

3. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I'm not a sportswriter, but as a freelance consultant, I've gotten several jobs off of LI.

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I've used it quite a bit before interviews to research the potential employer.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Ace -- good enough for LinkedIn, still not good enough for The Plain Dealer.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You haven't responded to my LinkedIn invitation, Facebook friend request, Twitter direct message, MySpace invitation or eHarmony.com request.

I guess you're really busy.

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I always used LinkedIn to find out about people who were interviewing me and people who got jobs I applied for, just to get some kind of feel for where I stood. That seems weird, doesn't it?

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I actually put some effort into building my LinkedIn connections, but not enough into actively prospecting for jobs. When I did get a new job and changed my status to indicate I was looking for freelancers, I received a couple of inquiries from job seekers, so the network had some life to it.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Nope. Just smart.

10. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I've been on LinkedIn for quite a while, longer than I've had a Facebook account. I think it's an excellent way to reconnect with old connections and when I apply for jobs, I always give them the direct link to my LinkedIn account so they can see my resume, recommendations, etc. I find the jobs they send me are ones I haven't seen elsewhere.

11. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

I've always been cautious with what I find on LinkedIn. I haven't interviewed for a job in years, but when I last did, I hesitated to reference anything I discovered on their profiles. I wondered if it gave off a "creep" vibe. I've since shaved the thin mustache and started wearing contacts, though.

At this point, I scare myself once I have someone's real name, nickname, and email address. How much online research is good to disclose?

12. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Anyone else run into the annoyance where Linkedin connects to gmail and suggest you connect with editors you emailed applications to? For some reason that always felt odd whenever it popped up.

Draft saved Draft deleted