1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone on LinkedIn? Success Stories? Leads? Jobs?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Brooklyn Bridge, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Putting this here because I know many media companies are moving toward the social networking thing. I'm just curious as to those of you on LinkedIn have found it. My company is on, but I just recently started an account for Brooklyn Bridge.

Trouble is, I am more than just BB the news guy, I am also BB the small business owner and BB the high school coach. Can I use my LinkedIn account not only to cultivate news leads/stories/ideas, but also for personal use? I'm hoping to get out of the field sooner rather than later and think LinkedIn is a good place to be.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Re: Anyone on LinkedIn? How does it work?

LinkedIn is a business networking site. It's made for looking for jobs. You basically put your resume out there and use your contacts to help spread it around. You can also get your contacts to write recommendations that you can post (and you can recommend them as well).

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Re: Anyone on LinkedIn? How does it work?

The thread title is a bit misleading. I know how it works, I was wondering if anyone had any success at using it.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I've found LinkedIn to be more helpful in getting information about employers than getting myself employed. I've used things like what college an editor went to in interviews, and they're very impressed I did my homework. What they don't realize is how easy it is when they have LinkedIn.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I got a $500 editing job within a few days of creating a LinkedIn account. The person was already aware of me, but the account helped by putting my name in his head at just the right time.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm on there. No success so far, but these days a lot of jobs you apply for you submit a resume electronically and there is no contact information.

If you can mine linked in to find someone who works at that company and and can get your name out there, it can help.

I think the best way to work it if your serious is to join one of the groups, answer a lot of questions and link to a blog or whatever and demonstrate your expertise.

I am not to that point, however.

And why couldn't you use it for work-related issues and personal use?

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"He's on LINKEDIN! He might as well be dead!"

8. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Yes I have gotten noticed off linkedin. It is essential to have a linked in account. Recruiters love it. I have gotten two freelance gigs off it, and these gigs are Division I hoops and FBS football freelance gigs, not local AHL or something.

I tuned on to linkedin because I noticed when I applied for a job that the linkedin profile started to get viewed. Mine was just a skeleton account, but hiring managers look at the profile and to see if there are common contacts.

It's also great for cold emailing people, which is how I got one of the gigs. I am hoping I can retool and turn it into something to help change careers. Beef it up like a resume and tailor it to the job you want.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I signed up for LinkedIn almost incidentally, and it has helped me in several ways. I've hired at least two people who came to me through the initial contact through LinkedIn, and while I'm not looking to go anywhere, I find it interesting that I've gotten at least three job feelers through LinkedIn as well.

Put it this way: If you're on LinkedIn, it has the possibility of helping you. If you're not on LinkedIn, it doesn't. Pretty simple.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I know a lot of people in the HR world, including a hiring manager for a fairly large tech company. All of them say getting on LinkedIn is the No. 1 thing to do in job searching. I don't think anyone is trolling the site just for an editor or whatnot, but if my name does drop in their laps that's the first place they go to check me out.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey, maybe I can link in to the Plain Dealer! I can almost smell the feelers now!

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

"smell the feelers"?

Draft saved Draft deleted