1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone on here had a hernia?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jeremy Goodwin, Sep 15, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm shocked at who didn't start this thread. And what the hell is a sports hernia?

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Thanks for sharing everyone. It's good to know what things will actually be like, instead of just hearing it from a doc.

3. Jeremy Goodwin

What is a sports hernia?
    A sports hernia occurs when there is a weakening of the muscles or tendons of the lower abdominal wall. This part of the abdomen is the same region where an inguinal hernia occurs, called the inguinal canal. When an inguinal hernia occurs there is sufficient weakening of the abdominal wall to allow a pouch, the hernia, to be felt. *****In the case of a sports hernia, the problem is due to a weakening in the same abdominal wall muscles, but there is no palpable hernia.

http://orthopedics.about.com/od/sportsinjuries/a/hernia.htm

I was hoping I had a sports one, so I could relate to athletes better and feel their pain.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Two or three days taking it easy, putting the remote control through a good workout from the bed or couch, worked for me. After three days I was rarin' to go do something, though I didn't go out for a 5-mile run. No ill effects since then. Good as new.

You'll be fine.

5. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I had one when I was five. My parents had to carry me to the bathroom for a couple days. I was fine after that.

6. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

I had surgery in 2001 to repair an umbilical hernia ... when I was in my late 30s. Had surgery on a Tuesday morning, worked the slot on Friday morning (I was working for a p.m. paper at the time).

Got sent home between first edition and final when blood started leaking through the stitches and a big red splotch appeared on my white golf shirt.

It was the first time I'd ever had anesthesia and all in all the experiece wasn't too bad. I think I lot depends how good your surgeon is - I had one of the best in our city.

Outpatient knee surgery in 2005 was much, much worse.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"You don't spell it son, you eat it!"

8. Jeremy Goodwin

thanks again, everyone, for your experiences. I'm heading to the hospital in about an hour. Hopefully I'll be doped up and posting later tonight.

Draft saved Draft deleted