1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone not have a journalism background?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mooninite, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Nothing to do with this thread, but Moonie, you might want to avoid going to Boston any time soon. ;D

2. scribe21

scribe21 Member

wow. strange the stories resemble mine. I have some college, but no degree. Started out as as stringer at small daily, then worked my way up to SE within two years. All of what I now know was gained through personal experiences. I am in my 15th year as a journalist and sports editor at a small daily next to my home county. Only second job I've held. Point is this: Can't beat hard work and prayer. Those two have worked hand-in-hand for me. Put God first and other things will follow. My freelance opportunities are unbelievable. I am a stringer for the AP, and cover a major university for a magazine and web site publication, plus my job as SE at newspaper. Everything works hand in hand. I may not get to the big metro, but that doesn't mean I can't dream big.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Was a history major with every intention of going to law school.
    Dad got sick, and I dropped out to go back home and work as an EMT/fireman. After my dad died, I wanted to go back to school and kinda follow in the family tradition of being a media person. My dad had been a TV news director, 6 & 10, newspaper writer, radio guy and a jack-of-all-trades for the AP. Some of my fondest memories were going on the road to help him call games for the local radio station. So I thought that's what I wanted to do. Was SE and editor of the college paper, but I didn't want to go to law school and the other family career path was law enforcement. My brother got me on at his police department with the promise of a Clinton grant, did a little bit of everything as I waited on the grant that never came. Started doing a little stringing for the local daily, then got offered a corporate security gig down the road and where the girlfriend lived. Took it, kept stringing, hated my job, liked the newspaper part and bit the bullet, took the paycut and went to work for a small daily as a GA in news, then to sports, then to SE and eventually ME. And it was off on the 3 and out career path of the newspaper biz ever since.
    The background has come in handy on occasions. One of the things I did previously was teach auto extrication, or how to work the jaws of life (they're actually called cutters, spreaders and combo tools) along with other things. And one of my first assignments was to cover one of those MADD auto aaccident things. So the local fire department was there and I was down on the football field as they are going to demonstrate what they do. So the fireman goes in and starts to cut the B post first of the "wrecked car" and I know that's wrong. So I move in with my little camera, tap him on shoulder and tell him, "dude you're doing that wrong. Start with the A post, take the pike pole and crease the roof in front of the C post, then cut the B and the roof will roll right back." The fire captain nodded his head and then they did exactly what I told them.
    I've got more stories, I've delivered a couple of babies, but I've rattled on long enough and I need to go to bed eventually.

4. EGM67

EGM67 New Member

I got my degree in telecommunication and film, with a minor in creative writing. I did some writing for a website through my university, then did some part time work with a bi-weekly entertainment paper in my town. Got my sports writing job because I worked with one of the paper's columnists' wife. I have enjoyed almost every minute of it since.

Draft saved Draft deleted