1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone know why Yahoo! News suddenly sucks?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Aug 31, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I've used Yahoo! as my homepage for the better part of the last decade and I've always relied on it to be a one-stop shop for all my sports news, regular news and movie listings.

Lately though, it seems there is no news on the damn thing. Almost half the links go to video (fresh with mandatory ads!) even though they appear to be heading towards an actual article and it seems the other half go to some fucking hack's blog where he/she casually mentions a newsworthy item only to then inject their worthless opinon into it.

Am I the only one noticing this? Am I the only one that cares?

Did I miss something about a change in Yahoo's policies to only put crap on their homepage?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

www.espn.com

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

SHILL!

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing actual news on there though. Just sports. :)

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

http://www.google.com/ig

Set it up however you want. I have three news and two sports feeds on mine.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Look closer. Right underneath the rail on the right side is a line from abcnews.

:D

7. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Alternatively, set up a my.yahoo.com page and you can customize the content however you want.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I laughed outloud at that...

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Indeed. Next, she'll start defending "Who's NOW!"

(ducking)

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

There's nothing wrong with using CNN.com or MSNBC.com as your homepage as both provide sports/hard news stories. I use MSN.com as my homepage as it lists several of the day's top stories in both national/world news as well as sports news. I've never liked Yahoo! and I stopped using it years ago. I considering Yahoo! absolute garbage.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

One word of caution on Google's personalized home page. It takes an ice age to load, and it gums up your general Web use.

12. bob

bob Member

Honestly, Schiezainc, I don't know what you're talking about. I've been using my.yahoo.com for years and nothing has changed. I've set up a dozen modules from NBA news to to MLB to auto industry news and stocks. There isn't a single video link. Don't use Yahoo's main page. Customize my.yahoo.com for yourself.

Draft saved Draft deleted