1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone know the reason why Pressbox.MLB.com went completely pros only?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SteveJRogers, Jun 8, 2009.

1. SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers New Member

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I did a search and couldn't find posts, but anyway I am very much not a professional journalists, but last year I enjoyed being able to look at all the media guides of every team for a hobby of mine that I'm working on. Obviously I can't so much do that this year, since I'm not a credentialed journalist.

Anyway, I think I may know the reason why the portal is now registered users only, so I'd just like some confirmation of it.

As an aside, is there a "press only" portal with any of the other sports?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

MLBpressbox.com has been a registration site for a few years, I think. Could you access anything more than media guides last year (i.e. headshots or PR contact info)?

Yes, there's a media-only site for all of the major sports.

3. KP

KP Active Member

I had access to that until this year when I inexplicably got whacked. I sent an e-mail finding out why without warning I got cut, but haven't heard back.

4. SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers New Member

The headshots, specifically the HD versions of them I know, which is what I am assuming was the reason why non media members are no longer able to use the site. From what I gather gamers and such would download those images and use them for fairly obvious non-media related purposes.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Interesting. I had no idea that non-registered users could access those things in years past. Makes me wonder why they even had registration, if some of those important features (I used the site mainly for headshots, but others use it more for PR contacts) were available without registration.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Whenever I need PR contact information, I just start one of those "Anyone Know Who Cubs' PR Is?" threads here. Always gets a response.

7. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

My registration got whacked at the beginning of the season, but they responded to my email and reset my logon, but it probably took a couple of weeks before they got back to me -- I don't work at a major newspaper in an MLB market, but we've got a minor league team in town.

Draft saved Draft deleted