1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone know someone with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Small Town Guy, Nov 8, 2007.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

A friends mom had it. Most painful thing I have seen a family go through.

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

My grandmother died of it. Awful way to go out, truly awful.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I know.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And I'm very confused after reading that.

As you can see from other people's reports on this thread (as well as my own second-hand experiences knowing people with ALS), none of Hawking's experiences match what other ALS patients have gone through. "Awful," "horrendous," "painful," "painful," "painful" is the common theme on this thread. What Hawking has is a motor neuron disease; ALS is also a motor neuron disease. But Hawking does not have the same thing Lou Gehrig had. Whatever he has has allowed him to stay alive for more than four decades after diagnosis.

If Hawking had ALS in 1963, he would not be alive. Period.

5. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

From the ALS Association Web site:

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The overnight board op at The Ticket was diagnosed with the early stages of ALS about a year ago. He went public a couple of months ago and said he will work at the station as long as he remains mobile.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Sad to hear about all those other stories. Just talked to my dad again. Apparently the guy went in because he had a twitching in his shoulder that wouldn't stop and was keeping him from sleeping. That's when he got the lyme disease diagnosis. But he's been going downhill recently and even his co-workers were telling him to go get checked out again. They're not sure if he's going to go back to work or not. He could apparently get full disability if he does leave. I don't think I'd go back to work knowing how short the time would be.

8. Actually. MS is an autoimmune disease that attacks the nervous system. It is closer to Lupus and Chron's than it is to ALS.
    And what Hawking has is a motor-neuron disease that is NOT ALS. Otherwise, he'd have been dead years ago.
    (FWIW, Mitch makes this mistake in Tuesdays With Morry.)

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I knew Tom Watson's caddie, Bruce Edwards, who died from the disease in 2004. It's no way to go.
    Watson was at the Masters when he got the word. Did a PC later that day and in tears, said: "Damn this disease."

10. One of my son's HS teammates had a father who went through it from the kid's eighth=grade on.
    Sucks doesn't even begin to describe it.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Oh, I know. MS is degenerative autoimmune. But not all sclerosis are "multiple" and autoimmune. ALS is a sclerosis that is motor neuron and so is primary lateral sclerosis.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I remember that presser. Watson half-yelled that line and there was fire in his eyes alongside the tears.

My heart goes out to anyone who has had to watch a friend or family member suffer through ALS.

Draft saved Draft deleted