1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone know Rome (looking for hotel recommendation)?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 18, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Just looked. That Westin is a wee bit pricey. If you can lop a few sheckles off the rate, though. ... Can we say 21 sent us?

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I think it's pretty walkable. The only area that's annoying and far away from everything is the Vatican, but that's fine because you can just make that area one day of your trip. I didn't really notice any bad areas within the major parts of the city. The Termini area was a quieter (read: not that touristy) area from what I remember.

The hostel I stayed at was actually really nice (rated one of the best in Europe) and they have doubles with bathrooms :D:

http://www.hostelsalessandro.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55&Itemid=40

But...it is still a hostel and I'm guessing that's not an option.

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

We spent a week in Italy, but this goes back close to ten years ago now, so grain of salt and all that..

Spent time in Rome and Florence, inluding a day trip to Sienna. I'd love to go back to Sienna for the horse races.

Stayed at two different places in Rome. One was on Via Vento. Walked to Harry's Bar and had drinks, just to say we did.

I'll have to look for the names of the hotels. I think one was Hotel Aberdeen, which was too far away from things we wanted to see and do. Can't remember the one on Via Vento right now.

I'll see if I can find our notes from the trip.

4. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I have been to Rome more than a few times and I have loved it every time. [That is not meant to demean Venice or Florence or any of the Tuscan towns I visited also; they were wonderful too.]

Hotels in Rome come in two flavors:

1. Very expensive

2. Expensive and not overly adorned with amenities.

With regard to renting a car - - DO NOT DO THAT. The reason is simple; there is no parking in Rome. If you do not "own" a parking spot or rent one on a regular basis, you will spend most of your time driving around in areas where there is no parking. Take cabs; take public transit, walk; whatever. DO NOT RENT A CAR.

Here is the deal with regard to restaruants in Rome - - or in most of Italy for that matter. When you are hungry, take a look at the next two restaurants you see. Flip a coin and go to one of them,. The food will be great and the house wine will be satisfactory.

Enjoy.

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

No help on Rome, sorry.

I would never describe Venice as disgusting but, during the day, it is impossibly overcrowded. The good news is how many people treat it as a daytrip. On the right nights ("right" is not that limited), Venice is magical.

If you can arrange your trip so that, on either end of it, you have two nights/one day in Venice, please take the chance.

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Been to Venice, Florence and Rome and really loved all three. If you can, see if you can get on a walking tour. My group took a walking tour that started at the Colosseum, went through the Forum, to the Spanish steps and Trevi Fountain, over to the Pantheon and to some piazza (by that time, I was so tired I can't remember the name. Plus it was like, five years ago) where they used to have chariot races. It was great but make sure you take your walking shoes. By the time I got to the Pantheon, my feet hurt so bad I didn't want to move.

Take a whole day to tour the Vatican. It's amazing.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Rome is GRREAT. :D

Actually it might be a little cheaper these days as the Euro Zone deals with the Greece and Portugal financial messes. The dollar has been a lot stronger against the euro in recent weeks.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Rome was one of the great travel experiences of my life. Have been to Spain, France, England, Ireland, Netherlands, so I'm not a rook.
    We stayed in a Holiday Inn that was close to the Pantheon. The hotel was very nice. (This was in 1996, so no guarantees!) Service was good, it was not what you'd think of as a "Holiday Inn." Much closer to what you'd expect from a Crown Plaza or Marriott. I can't seem to find it, though, so I'm thinking it's turned over since I was there. I think it might now be the Grand Hotel Minerve. That looks like the same place. Anyway, fantastic area of Rome. We were really glad we stayed there. The plaza around the Pantheon is exactly what you'd want Europe to be, and we had no trouble getting around to all the key sites. Hope you enjoy yourself. Rome is one of the great cities on the planet.

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

When we were in Rome we stayed at the Hotel Paba. Room might be a tad small (of course, there were four of us - 2 adults, 2 kids - staying in it), but really not that bad. Great location, short taxi from the train station and lots within walking distance, including the Colosseum.

I highly recommend it.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Thank you, everyone. Thanks lantaur.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Forgot to add this - http://www.hotelpaba.com/. Rome is great; wish we had more time there.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

A few years ago my sister was doing research for an academic paper on Caravaggio an spent about six weeks in Rome.

I'll try and find out she recommends.

Draft saved Draft deleted