1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone know Rome (looking for hotel recommendation)?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 18, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Planning a trip for a few weeks from now. I have never been to Rome and don't know the city at all. This will be a personal/sight seeing trip. Anyone know the city well and have a hotel recommendation (or an area of the city to narrow down a search)? I am not looking for a luxury hotel, but I want to avoid one of the fleabags that often passes for a hotel in Europe.
  2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Italy and not Georgia, right?
  3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Italy and not Jim, right?
  4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Ok, I preface this by saying I really dislike Rome...it's Mexico City with older stuff and smellier buses, San Juan without the cruise ships...it just didn't grab me. Maybe because I was there after Venice and Florence, and those are such magnificent cities that anything else is the Bronx by comparison. No offense to the Bronx, etc etc.

I would go the luxury or close-to-it route, unless you get a recommendation from someone who really really knows what they're talking about. 'Charming' has incredibly different meanings to different people.

Can you just go to Venice and Florence instead? Or up to Como, to the real Bellagio?
  5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It's been about 10 years since I've been, but I can still remember the feeling I got when walking down the street, I could see the Colosseum in the distance, and I passed an set of ancient Roman ruins overwatched by a statue of Caesar.

The hair on my arm still stands up when I think about it.

If they still let you, make sure you hit the grotos under St. Peters. I was too young to really appreciate it then, but it was a pretty awesome experience.
  6. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I've been to Rome twice. The first time was years ago and we stayed in a decent hotel within walking distance of the Vatican. That's a nice area because you're not too far from the Piazza Navona. Last time was 2004 and we stayed in a real touristy trap in sort of a residential neighborhood that wasn't really near walking distance of any of the tourist sites (odd huh). It was one of those ones that have a bunch of tour groups staying in it and they bus them out of there every day. A travel agent put us in there. I didn't mind it too much though because it was clean and you got breakfast and it had a restaurant in it. Can't remember the name of it though. The one thing I did like about it was it was in a neighborhood so you could walk around and go to the farmer's markets and look in the real-people stores, not like tourist shops. I always enjoy doing that. Anyway, I would try some of the travel Web sites that talk about hotels. My favorite is tripadvisor.com, although I'm not sure whether they do hotels outside the U.S.

As for restaurants, there is a great gelato place right near the Pantheon not to miss and do NOT mis Tre Scalini in the Piazza Navona which has the amazing tartufo dessert. I've only found it a few other places in the world, including an Italian restaurant in Appleton, outside Green Bay, Wis., oddly enough.
  7. The Big Ragu

We'd actually prefer Florence, but it's not an option. Please don't ask me to explain. A lot of people I know actually found Venice kind of disgusting.

Yeah, "charming" frightens me when it comes to Europe, which was why I was hoping there was someone on here who could say, "I stayed at such and such Marriott and it was clean and had hot and cold running water and flush toilets!"

It is going to be Rome for four days probably. Neither of us has ever been. We both like architecture and history, and for us the old stuff will likely be cool beyond belief, so I can't imagine it will be a total disappointment.

TBF, Yeah, I am really eager to see The Colosseum.
  8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I stayed in a hostel when I was there so I can't offer specifics. As for an area, though, I stayed near Termini station and thought it was a good area for getting everywhere else pretty quickly. I'm not the best person to ask, though, because I love walking around cities and walked the whole city the first day I was there (I would guess I did 5+ miles of walking that day, easily).

And here's a picture of the gelato place in Rome with the best selection:

I have basically the same exact picture somewhere in an album. I went to Rome in March, and actually loved it. I also liked Venice a lot as well. But not going during tourist season and when it's scorchingly hot probably helped.
  9. The Big Ragu

Thanks Druenc. We do a lot of walking, so that sounds perfect for us. Is the city very walkable, to the extent that you can pretty much stay anywhere (as opposed to Paris, where you can be in Paris, but 80 miles from anything)? Are there unsafe parts?
  10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If you'd stay at a Marriott, I'd spend a little more (maybe a lot more) and stay at the Westin on the via Veneto.

Firm believer that a lousy hotel can ruin a magnificent vacation.

Re Venice, to me it's just the coolest place. A little stinky but have a few Bellini's, you won't notice.
  11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more on Como and Bellagio. Was there last summer. Spectacular. Milan was pretty terrific too.

Didn't get to Rome.
  12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

This guy got to know him pretty up close and personally:

He might be able to help.
Draft saved Draft deleted