1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone know of a sports psychologist specializing in risk taking?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by StephenBailey, Oct 6, 2012.

1. StephenBailey

StephenBailey New Member

Hey guys,

I've been digging around online for a reputable study or sports psychologist specializing in risk taking among athletes. Just figured it couldn't hurt to post this up. If any members know of someone who may be able to help me out, the contact would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Look up a Dr. Carlton Maxwell in Dallas. He's an expert in both sports and risky behavior.

3. StephenBailey

StephenBailey New Member

Well done. I heard he moved to the New England area though.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

If you're near a military installation, almost all brigades -- both infantry and aviation -- now have psychologists who might have some insight on risk-taking.

5. StephenBailey

StephenBailey New Member

Thanks. I'll definitely look into this. To clarify, the risk taking I'm looking into specifically is the dangerous driving of high school athletes compared to non-athletes as opposed to the risks of playing a sport or even the risks of taking illegal substances.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

No one drives faster than a Soldier just returning from a deployment with a pocket full of money and a hot-rod car or motorcycle. Most of them are not much older than high school kids, too.

I think you could draw some fairly significant parallels.

Draft saved Draft deleted