1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone know anything about Salisbury, N.C.?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BertoltBrecht, Apr 28, 2008.

1. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Sounds like a country/folk song — but my fiance and I are considering a move to the city.

2. frozen tundra

frozen tundra Member

They make a nice steak there.

3. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

I've never known a person to willingly order or eat a salisbury steak that wasn't on their school lunch tray or $1 TV dinner.

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

It's an hour or so from Charlotte, closer to High Point and Greensboro. Catawba College is there. Nice climate, nice area. Not real exciting.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

It's about 20 miles from where I grew up. Not too exciting, but a nice place. It's the hometown of Food Lion and Cheerwine, and about 10 miles to the north you can get a tasty BarBQue sammich from Monk's in Lexington. 8)

Other than that, I got nothin'.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

If it's for the paper, the guys in sports there are pretty nice.

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Mmmm, Cheerwine.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The home city of Food Lion is not exactly a ringing endorsement in my book.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

The humidity will kill you in July and August, but other than that really nice place.
    As said early, home of Food Lion and Catawba College. The town has a ton of millionares because of Food Lion stock. Catawba has a great DII football stadium. Salisbury has plenty of places to eat. The bar at the Holiday Inn is pretty nice for a Holiday Inn bar. The Holiday Inn is also home to the Broadcasters Hall of Fame for some reason.

The proximity is really good to plenty of locations.

There were some tensions a couple of years back with students killed in an incident between Catawba and Livingstone College. The Salisbury Post does a good job of covering DII athletics.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

11. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Thanks for the info, doesn't seem like that bad of a place. Now, what about the paper?

12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Haven't read the Salisbury Post in many, many years.

In the long-ago era when I knew their sports guys, they would not have known from Bertolt Brecht.
    But my esteemed institution of higher learning, located less than an hour south of Salisbury, once put on what I recall as an excellent production of "Caucasian Chalk Circle."
    This probably isn't much help, but it's all I've got.

Draft saved Draft deleted