1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone know anything about Landmark/LCNI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this company.

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Yep, I worked for that outfit for about 4 years.

What do you need to know?

3. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

I've also worked for that company. Landmark is the company that owns the papers in Greensboro, N.C., Norfolk and Roanoke, Va. and Annapolis, Md. The company also owns The Weather Channel. LCNI is the community newspaper division of the company and it owns several small dailies and many non-dailies.
    I'll also take questions.

4. What did you guys think of the company, as a whole, when you worked for them?

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

The place I worked at wasn't bad. There was a lot going on, it was a weekly.
    But as far as the company, it's cheap and the benefits aren't great. Typical newspaper company, I suppose.

Although I was offered a job at a CNHI daily that offered me $75 a week LESS than I was making at the Landmark paper. So, you have that.

6. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

I worked at one of the metros answering phones for the sports department in college and was also a part time writer for sports/features.
    I also worked at a free weekly in a large city that LCNI had recently purchased.
    I second Bob Slydell's comments about a typical newspaper company.
    I know at the weekly we had a lot of computer problems consistently and no full-time IT help outside one person based in Kentucky at LCNI's office.

Draft saved Draft deleted