1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone in western Pennsylvania?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm planning a trip to Johnstown next weekend but I've never been there before and I'd like to get some driving directions from those who know the area better than I do.

I'm coming from Buffalo and I know US 219 is the most direct route from the north, but I'm concerned it may not be a very good road in the winter, particulary the stretch through the mountains. I could take I-90 to Erie and I-79 south toward Pittsburgh, then pick up another road to go east from the Pittsburgh area to Johnstown, but who knows how much extra time that'll add to the trip?

That said, taking the extra time would be worthwhile to me if the interstates are markedly safer than US 219. Can anyone help?

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

219 is an OK road in the winter, I think.

I mean, truckers use it all the time, so I presume it has to be somewhat passable.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

219 is fine.
    If you are driving in the daytime, you are good to go.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

One of the best road trips I ever took was to Johnstown. The bars there have the cheapest drinks of any place I've been. And War Memorial was rocking, with a shootout at the end to decide the game.

5. Western Pennsylvania: Home of the country's ugliest chicks!

Man, I have been to Johnstown, and the surrounding area, a million times,and I have Never, N-E-V-E-R seen a good-looking chick in that place.
    I like the area, pretty good football and nice hockey and decent auto racing and beer league softball (also the hometown of Johnny Weissmuller and Charles Bronson, who was born in nearby Windber), but the women are less-than-attractive.
    I don't know what it is....
    Beer is pretty cheap - except that you can't just waltz into a gas station or Sheetz and pick up a six pack. You have to buy it a distributorship.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Speaking to the choir, brotha.

If you're buying a 12-pack or less, you can buy at a so-called beer or six-pack store.
    Anything bigger, you need to go to a distributor.
    And if you want liquor, you go to a state store.
    Took me forever to figure that out.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I was about to get defensive about Western Pa. women, but then I remembered I married a woman from New York.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

As someone who's probably driven 50,000 miles back and forth from northern PA to Buffalo over the years...

Look at it this way: if there's snow on 219, odds are the Thruway is getting hit, too. The hills (mountains ?!?!?) north of Ellicottville are the only real point of concern, and NYDOT takes reasonably good care of them. (Unlike their counterparts south of the state line, but I digress...)

One alternative: if 219 worries you but you don't feel like driving clear out to I-79, take the 400 out of Buffalo to Route 16. Stay on 16 until just north of Olean, then hop on I-86 west (old Route 17) for about ten minutes, to get back to 219 at Seneca Junction.
    ------------------------------------

...and don't get me started on our Commonwealth's archaic liquor laws. Now you know why I buy my beer in New York. (Take that, PLCB.)

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If you're going to be in Johnstown, try to get over to the Flight 93 memorial. It will be worth the trek into the boonies.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Sorry. Like I said, never been there. I just noticed "Allegheny Mountains" on a PA map and visions of something like the Smokies danced in my head.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Among the least uttered phrases in the English language:

"I'm planning a trip to Johnstown next week ..."

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

I want to find out who own da Chiefs. And I'm bringing my fucking toys with me!

Draft saved Draft deleted