1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone in Memphis, Nashville, Little Rock or surrounding areas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mayfly, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Hey folks,

I am going to be taking a trek southward for a new job and if anyone lives in Memphis, Nashville, Little Rock or the surrounding areas, you could be of help.

I anticipate my drive ending in one of those cities, depending on exactly how far I feel like going in a given day. I would only be staying in the one city then continuing to the job. I am in need of a cheap hotel idea, a good park to sleep in, or if possible, a floor or a couch of someone's place to crash in, to cut down on expenses.

If anyone to help a young writer out, please offer your suggestions or tips in here, or in a PM. Once again, I thank you kindly, and I look forward to your suggestions and ideas.

Mayfly

2. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Re: Anyone in Memphis, Knoxville, Little Rock or surrounding areas?

If you are going to Memphis, Knoxville and Little Rock in that order it's going to be a long trip :D

Good luck, though, hope someone in the SJ Nation helps you out.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking.

If you get to Memphis, you're two hours from Little Rock. But it's a lonely two hours on I-40 unless you enjoy watching snow geese fly in formation.

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Well figuring I would have already been in the car for 14 hours, I am trying to decide where to call it a day. I will go as far as I feel. If I get an offer to stay in Little Rock, I'll make the extra two hour drive there, or if I am near Memphis and I remember someone said something, I'll stay there. I am looking for places to stay, be it in a hotel or with someone.

Nashville - 12 hours
    Memphis - 15 hours
    Little Rock - 17 hours

Those are the driving distances from where I will be coming. So I plan on staying in one place for one night then going on my merry way to the final destination.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I assume you're taking 40 west from Nashvegas to Memphis.

If you're really tired then stay in Nashville. There are a few hotels on the exits west of downtown but not as many as north and east.

Plenty in Memphis and some in Jackson.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yeah, stay in Nashville, man. 12 hours is a ton of driving -- especially by yourself.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Stop in Nashville to spend the night. The next day have lunch in Memphis, dinner in Little Rock.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Ooohhh, ooohhh. Pick me. Pick me. I can answer this one. Pick me.

Central Barbecue. Little hole-in-the-wall near the Liberty Bowl.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Stay out on the west end of Nashville on I-40, you can get a decent place to sleep for the night for fairly cheap.
    When will you be making the trip?

10. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I drove from DC to Little Rock in one day. It was sucky, but it made the next day's drive a lot shorter.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

All I can say is wow

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sounds like an SportsJournalists.com road trip in the making.

Draft saved Draft deleted