1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone in Maine?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jan 19, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Need some help on a story with a Maine angle and I know nothing about the state.
    What's the bigdog paper, that sort of thing.
    NOTE: This isn't a sports story.

j

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I am pretty sure Songbird is from Maine.

3. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

I'm pretty close. Biggest city is Portland in the southern part of the state. Portland Press-Herald is the newspaper there. Bangor Daily News would be the next biggest I believe. University of Maine is in a nearby town, Orono. Black Bears hockey team is a perennial NCAA Division 1 powerhouse.
    PM me if you need more or want to be more specific

4. John

John Well-Known Member

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Maine had to change their motto:
    "Just north of here, they club baby seals."

[​IMG]

6. my favorite newspaper name

Bangor Daily

7. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Maine rocks. Highly underrated and kind of forgotten about up there in the northeastern corner of it all.
    Yeah, Portland and Bangor are the two biggest journalistic dogs in the state, in that order. Portland covers Portland and its surroundings and some statewide stuff. Bangor covers Bangor, obviously, and the vast northern reaches, where few live. Lewiston, I believe, is the third biggest paper, located about an hour north of Portland. What are you looking for?

8. Gillette237

Gillette237 Member

I know of Vacationland. PM me if you need anything.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

My parents took us to Old Orchard Beach when we were kids.

I've always been fascinated by Maine. It's far larger than the rest of the New England states. The state's biggest cities/most obvious tourist attractions are in the bottom third of the state. When you look at a map at a rest stop up there, it looks completely barren in the upper two-thirds. What's up there? I'd love to tour it some day.

10. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

The local Mardens is the big tourist attraction in Calais, Me. ;D. Sometimes we scoot across the border for cross-border shopping. Not likely to happen once they start insisting on passports though.

11. how big is maine?

if you drive from Philadelphia to the northern tip of Maine, you're not even halfway there when you reach the southern tip of Maine

12. crustacean

crustacean Member

Simply stated, I'm a huge fan of Maine.

It goes neck-and-neck with Utah as the most spectacular state in the country.

Scattershooting: ... Stephen King lives in Bangor, inside a house surrounded famously by an ornate wrought-iron bat fence. He's a great local philanthropist. ... Portland is home to the Sea Dogs, a Red Sox farm club. ... Acadia National Park on Mount Desert Island is simply fucking amazing. ... Mount Katahdin's knife edge, just about the tail end of the Appalachian Trail, is as fun a hike as I've ever experienced. ... There are three seasons in Maine: Summer transitions to fall to winter to "mud season"; yes, there is no spring. ... During the winter, the sun sets at about 3:30 p.m. ... The three biggest industries in Maine are fishing, timber and tourism, and two out of those three have hit the skids. ... A century ago, Maine was one of the most powerful states in the union politically, when the timber and fishing industries were flush. ... That nugget of history lends hope that Texas might creep back to the Stone Age some time in the distant future.

For more information, you can sift through the disinformation here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine

Draft saved Draft deleted