1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone here play pitch?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 2, 2012.

1. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

This is the way I play, too: just those four points.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

My QJ3 was in diamonds. The joker plays anywhere.
    My reasoning was that with KQJjoker......I've only got 2 points (jack,joker), and if I don't fill up, I'm probably set.
    No ace, no 3, no 2.

My diamonds, if I fill up, hold the 3, I've got 4 locked (roll the jack)......if my partner gets anything (which the bastard didn't) then I'm fine.

He didn't get Jimmy, Julie or Jack Shit.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I can see that. I guess my thinking would be that with K-Q-J-Joker there's a better chance to wait/draw out out the ace and keep more of what you already have, but either way you're awfully reliant on outside forces.

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

You would have had four cards at the time of bidding each way, though, right? So you would have had about the same chance of filling up both ways through the kitty.

In the second hand, you could have lured the Ace out with the King or the Queen or just a trash card, then been able to take at least the next two pots and if the off-jack gets played on any of those, the next three pots. I think you'd very likely have gotten at least five or six, and maybe more, depending on where the three ended up. If the guy with the ace has the three or your partner has it and has more than one card, you're likely to get the three.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I would have needed two cards to fill up both ways. Here's the thing, though....

If I take the bid with KQJ joker, I have to fill up with at least 1 more point card, and hope my partner has the Ace. Him having the 3 does me no good if I don't have the ace. That's an instant set.

Since I took the bid with QJ joker 3, I just need to fill up. I don't need to pull any more pointers out of the pile. I fill up (which I did), I should get 5 easily (which I got). Still went set, though.

Partner had 1 card, and it helped nada.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

They were pitching Yu a few weeks ago ...

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed.
    In this crowd I thought someone would have called me Father McCulcahy after making that comment.

Draft saved Draft deleted