1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone here missing a baby?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

NEW YORK (AP) _ Officials say a newborn baby found abandoned in Queens is recovering from being left out in the cold and will be in foster care by Christmas.
    The baby girl was only a few hours old on Monday when two teenage skateboarders heard her cries and discovered her on top of a garbage bin.
    She was wrapped in a blanket and a paper bag and still had her umbilical cord attached.
    The mother was nowhere to be found.
    The baby spent five days in an intensive care unit at Elmhurst Hospital Center, but has been placed with a foster family in time for the holiday.
    City child welfare officials say the girl will be offered for adoption if a parent does not come forward.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I would say it's unlikely the parent would come forward, simply because they'd likely be facing charges of some kind.

Very good of the 'boarders to do the right thing.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Sheesh. Merry Christmas. How some people can live with themselves is beyond me.

4. PhantomPunch

PhantomPunch Guest

Anyone here missing a baby?

Great headline. I bet it would run in Trenton.

5. We had a run a few years back where authorities were finding dead babies in tupperware containers and the like in the trunks of teenage girls whose families were well off. Seriously, there were like three of them in a month. The girls were terrified to tell their families.

There's a law here that says if you abandon your baby at a hospital you won't be prosecuted. I think it's in a lot of states but I'm not sure it's federal yet.

6. PhantomPunch

PhantomPunch Guest

Fire stations, too.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

A lot of states will also let you leave them at places like fire houses, police stations and churches.

Most of these cases do seem to be scared teenage girls. It's just heartbreaking all around.

I'm glad this baby seems to be headed for a decent life.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

See? The punks aren't all bad, people. Sure, we may wear studded belts and listen to fast music and have outlandish hairstyles, but we're good seeds, too.

How many of you would save a dying baby? ...

Oh. Everybody? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Seriously, though. I guess this is one situation where I'll never understand some people's thoughts. To do that to a living thing -- person or animal -- is beyond fucking terrible. And yet it's become not quite a surprise when you read it in the paper or see it on the news.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i do think yawn would have asked the baby if s/he was a "lib" before offering help.

10. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

[​IMG]

Mmmmmmmm...baby!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

New York does in fact have a Baby Moses law.

12. "Whose baby?"
    (Funniest moment in Bill Forsyth's "Local Hero.")
    This movie here.

Draft saved Draft deleted