1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone here deliver newspapers?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bradley Guire, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I'm not good enough to get a real newspaper job, or any real job, so in a fit of desperation I took a newspaper route a few nights ago.

I have no idea why people voluntarily do this. I'm estimating that I will put in 35 to 40 hours per week, because I wasn't skeptical enough when I was told it would take two hours per night. What a bullshit story, and I swallowed it hook, line, and sinker. At this rate, I'm earning $3.72 an hour. Gross. Then there's gas for the car, plus I have to buy rubber bands and poly bags.

I do believe I'm dumping the route in less than a week.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You have to buy the rubber bands and bags?

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's something the company should buy.

Also Brad, is the 35-40 hour thing a matter of you not being familiar with the job after only a few days, or does it really look like you'd be putting in that much time. Because $3.72 an hour, and the wear and tear on your car, just isn't worth it.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Why are you rubber-banding and bagging?

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I get my paper in a bag with no rubber band and no tube.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

At the rate my old papers went through carriers, it was never a surprise that they got as many missed delivery complaints as they did. It is dreadfully poorly paid work, and all on a contract basis. Given the state of most of our carriers and vehicles, I always wondered how many of them had licenses or insurance. I'm sure almost none of them had insurance covering the use of the car for work.

7. People want a lot of things. Doesn't mean they should get it.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The only way you can make money throwing newspapers is on a rural route with a little bit of driving but a lot of customers. And driving a car that absolutely will not die. The good news is you can write those miles off your taxes.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

In fairness, the papers these days are so small, the wind blows them every which way.

10. Yeah, it's an incredibly shitty job.

I did it as a kid, but that doesn't count.

Get out. Get out and don't look back.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

How about a bicycle? Faster than walking. No wear and tear on the car.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Depends on how long his route is. Some routes are 20+ miles.

Draft saved Draft deleted