1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone here an entomologist? Anyone? Or expert in NYC mosquitoes?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Small Town Guy, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I think I killed one mosquito in our Manhattan apartment all summer.

Then, about three weeks ago an invasion. Killed like 10 of them. I read on Gothamist that it happens, don't panic. As it gets colder outside they look for warmth. But last night killed another two. (and I'm actually killing them so know it's mosquitoes, we're not just waking up with mysterious bites that could be dreaded bed bugs).

I've tried telling my wife, just wait until it gets cold, they'll die. They'll die.

Growing up in Minnesota, I'm obviously accustomed to dealing with mosquitoes. They're a part of life. But usually outdoors. This inside stuff is maddening. And I never see them in pairs. Instead I'll kill one and 5 minutes later another appears, taking its place. Next man up, if you will. (Female, says the scientist. The females bite.)

Now the past week and especially past few days it's been pretty cold, though not freezing, I don't think. But still...last night and now today seeing another one.

Is this normal? Will they die when it stays cold for a few days? Are they mutant?

We're on the sixth floor, which is the top in our place, so maybe there's water on the roof of the building and they breed there but why just now and not during the summer? And this is also the first late-fall invasion we've had in a decade in this place. What the hell is happening? could it be the little fish bowl we bought this summer? And how can we fight them inside, on our turf? A friend in the neighborhood had them few weeks ago and sprayed her face with Off and slept like that. Healthy, I'm sure.

I just talked to my wife on the phone and she's buying some type of flytrap things that I've read are pointless and won't work but I guess it'll act as a type of placebo for her. I keep telling her they're going to die and that one reason I don't totally hate cold winters is because it kills bugs. But now I'm wondering. Any indoor fighting tips and/or assurances that, yes, they will disappear once it's in the 20s a few days?

-Swatting and scratching in Manhattan

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The word mosquito, that has found its way into common English is from the same Spanish work that means "little gnat" of "little fly" (diminutive of mosca "fly," from Latin musca "fly").

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I've never experienced mosquitoes (indoors or outdoors) in mid-November here.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Damn you!

Each time a new one appears, it takes me a few seconds to believe it and I say outloud, to no one, "Are you kidding?" And then the hunt begins. At one point three of them were crushed and stuck to the ceiling and I left them for a day, hoping they'd serve as a warning to others. When more appeared, I did clean them up.

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Just leaving them crushed on the ceiling won't do it. You need to put their heads on pikes.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

When I lived in a studio apartment on the East Side (with three other guys) way back in the '80s, one of my roommates, Andy, always made a point of lighting our cockroaches on fire to "send a message to his friends."

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have no idea how a mosquito can be active in this weather. They are warm weather beasts. If I was you, I'd leave your windows all open and try to freeze them out.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think 93Devil has a degree in entomology. Maybe two.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I've had a couple mosquito bites recently and I thought it was quite strange. Maybe mosquitoes have adapted and will now hunt us all winter, too.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Somewhat related question: When I've been in NYC (and other big cities), I'm struck by the number of windows that don't have screens on them to keep the bugs out. What's up with that?

Draft saved Draft deleted