1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone Here A Landlord?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jul 18, 2010.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I rented my house. Once. Never again.

The tenants were scam artists and the property manager I used didn't do a good job on checking references and places of employment. They were Nuwabians, and anyone from Middle Georgia knows about them.

They tore up the carpet and the parts that were still there were filthy, save the spot where the TV was on the floor. They never mowed the grass, left clothes on the roof and a broken down van in the yard. My storage area was trashed and there were holes and the like in the walls. Both porches were trashed as well, mainly with graffiti, stating "Black Men in the USA."

About 10 grand later (yes, that much) we're almost done with the repairs. Four years later. And the property manager? Well, he is the dad of my wife's best friend and dicked us on the repairs. Don't know how (my wife was the one responsible for all of this), but we're footing the bill.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but be careful.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Check with the college lacrosse coach to see if the players need a place to stay.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Update.

Inlaws want a little more for the house than we were hoping (my father-in-law wants more). But it's not a deal breaker.

Essentially, the mortgage on the rental is slightly less than half of our current mortgage. And, the rent we'd collect would be the exact cost of our current mortgage, basically cutting our monthly mortgage payments in half.

I forgot to mention, a long time family friend lives three doors down from the rental. He actually cuts the lawn and shovels snow for my inlaws every weekend/month their away at their other home way out of town.

So, I'd have a set of eyes, lawn care and snow removal about three houses down.

4. Why haven't you sued this guy? Seriously.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But are you also factoring in property taxes and insurance with the rental payments? Those can take a huge bite of your profits. Not to mention repairs (which you would definitely need if you're renting to college students) and setting money aside for when the place is vacant.

6. Giggity

Giggity Member

One of the benefits of renting to college kids is the place should never go vacant. Usually I have the place rented out for the following school year by January. Most students understand they either need to live there during the summer or sublet it to a friend who's staying in town.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Yes detective. I have suggested as much. But again with him being my wifes friends dad she won't do it. I figure its just not worth my marriage.

Draft saved Draft deleted