1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone heard about another buyout at Dallas morn news; Chip Brown to Rivals?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fleaflicker, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Fleaflicker obviously has no ax to grind. ::)

2. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

3. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

Montezu _ The Flea has more axes to grind than Paul Bunyan, no foolin'. That being said, the Flea is headed for vacation tomorrow, and just wanted to say Rick the Goose rules. Always thought he was miraculous. The rest of it, well...No harm, no foul. Chip was cool with me, and I'm pretty hard to satisfy _ that's all.

Cheers to Montezu, my Pilgrim, carry on in my absence. (Hey, I had this thing for Chip, what can I tell you?)

_ Flea

4. Had to have been the hair.

5. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

;D The Flea is a professional axe-grinder, Montezu _ that means I'm an expatriate sports journalist _ but you knew that! I'm so transparent that you can see my lower intestines!

Seriously, I worked at what I think of as GooseLand, home of the Rick Gosselin greatness, when it was fine, really fine, a destination and a dynasty. I couldn't be this sad, otherwise. Do you see that? The DMN was Eden. That's my axe, and I'm not afraid to show it. There, what else can I say?

Flea, a candid and frank Flea

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Well, last year the DMN said it was shifting its focus away from colleges and toward the Cowboys and high schools. The latter explains the SMU focus.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Rimshot.

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

You forgot a few...Sam Houston, Texas Southern, Houston Baptist...then SMU ;-)...

At least Sam Houston could make Josh McCown into an NFL QB. SMU screwed it up so badly they had him on the bench behind somebody with a fraction of his ability. I think folks in Dallas realize that SMU has an athletic department that has trouble getting out of its own way.

A sign of that? SMU has been so desperate to bring in "name" coaches (June Jones, Matt Doherty) to try to make up for the tarnished brand name in the community. And it's not just tarnished because the death penalty thing from 20-something years ago. It's tarnished because people see the athletic department lurching around, stumbling over itself while it randomly tries to find its identity.

This post courtesy of the Greater DFW TCU Boosters Association, with assistance from the "Hey, Look at Us, We're North Texas!" fund.

9. standman

standman Member

People will only care about SMU in Dallas when it wins again (good luck with that) and when it starts cheating again. Otherwise the Ponies are second class citizens in their own town. Plus, SMU is more the team of Highland Park and University Park. The school means nothing south of the Trinity River.

10. Chip ain't workin for Rivals -- he's working for Orangebloods.com, the local Rivals affiliate. Big difference.

Here's the link:
    http://texas.rivals.com/

11. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Someone mentioned FW above....anyone ever hear who filled what spots after their changes with the layoffs/buyouts they had? I never heard anything myself. Just wondering.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Obviously others have said it, but if the DMN forgot about SMU completely, it would be a blip on the radar. They don't do a ton w/ it anyway.

Someone mentioned DFW UT fans dwarfing DFW SMU fans. Hell, DFW OU fans outnumber DFW SMU fans 10,000 to 1.

Draft saved Draft deleted