1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone hear Kornheiser on the Dan Patrick show?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by thebiglead, Aug 15, 2006.

1. TK's departure from ESPN radio is a mixture of both. He ended it on his own, frustrated because of bad relationships with some ESPN bosses and edicts about not ripping certain people (Stewey, the gag about Linda Cohn's nonexistent sixth toe.)

Bristol Insider, you said ESPN would kill to have the show back on ... Just curious, how is Cowherd's show doing? I personally can't stand listening to it for five seconds, but other people I know and respect do swear by him.

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Wasn't Linda called "Old 12 Toes"? And it was 12 the hard way, 7 and 5, I believe.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

MNF is the Nightly News of TV sports. Where's Meredith Vieira when you need her?

4. Sorry I'm late.
    RELEASE THE HOUNDS!

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Cowherd's show isn't bad, but it's nowhere close to TK's...

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

You have to have a thicker skin to work in television because the criticism is so much more personal.

I finally downloaded Tony's whining off of ESPN's website.

He talks about the "viciousness" of the criticism -- and yet I remember him attacking TV people on a radio show just last year -- going after Sage Steele, who's very solid.  In fact, she was offered a job by ESPN but turned it down because she didn't want to uproot her husband and kids.

Many of Tony's fans have fallen for this "loveable curmudgeon" persona he's created.  But he's not loveable.  He's a bad guy whose first priority is money.  

He still paints himself as a print person-- somehow I guess that makes him feel better.  The reality is, he turned into a TV Diva a long time ago-- and the worst kind of TV Diva-- a whiny one.  His excuse for his tepid performance the other night was that "producers were in his ear" telling him to let Tirico set the lineups, go to break, etc.

Yeah, Tony, welcome to live television.  It's not as easy as you thought.  

-----------------

A television exec once said to make it in TV you have to have "it."  And "it" is defined as "warm authority tempered by wit."

Tony's got the authority and the wit but not the warmth.  And it took me awhile to figure out why he's been so successful on PTI without the warmth.  Yesterday I realized Wilbon is his warmth.  Without Wilbon, it just doesn't work.

I was trying to come up with a realistic, attainable 3-person combo that I thought would have worked nicely for this new MNF setup.  (I prefer a 2-man booth, but obviously folks are set on a 3-man booth.)

And the combo I came up with was Tirico, Wilbon and Tom Jackson.  Warmth, authority, wit-- they've got it.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Luggy, do you have a link to the TK interview?

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Media people talking to another media person about a media-created controversy. That would have been the whirling vortex of bleah.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of Mr. Tony, but this is a great example of pretty good analysis (  ;)  ) ... well thought-out, clearly explained and layered with insight upon insight. Then again, I'm a huge fan of Lugnuts, so ...

Seriously, well done. This board is starving for more posts like this one. Whether or not you agree with it, it's enjoyable to see a well-presented argument that isn't simply a case of popping off to start a fight.

11. lugnuts, you're dropping the hammer today. wow.

i think you're being a little too hard on TK.... he is far, far from a bad person. i heard the patrick interview and didn't like tony's reaction. he needs to roll with the punches. we definitely criticize people all the time and need to stomach it better when it gets thrown our way.... but TK is not a bad person by any stretch. and i don't say that because he's nice to me.  

i think dan patrick had it best. he said let's wait until week 4 of the regular season before jumping to any real conclusions.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Seriously, all I could think when listening to Mr. Tony yesterday afternoon on Patrick was, "Damn, this guy knows good radio."

Because that's all it was, folks. TK was sitting there on his end, stifling a chuckle and rolling his eyes as he feigned outrage.

And, of course, the man's a master, because he not only gets the public to buy it ... he gets all of you to buy it.

Draft saved Draft deleted