1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone hear anything outta Cleveland today?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Killick, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Haven't seen anything here, but a friend (and fellow SportsJournalists.com poster) told me that today is D-Day at the PD. Folks were told to take all their stuff home last week, and they'd be told today whether they should return to the newsroom.

Apparently, the PD didn't get the numbers they'd hoped for in latest buyout effort, so... queue the Reaper.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just got this:

the word from the executive editor today was that 27 layoffs will take place tomorrow morning, with those targeted for layoffs to be called at home.

The goal was 50 buyouts and obviously they did not get that number. No idea what hit sports will take, but there will be some

3. Killick

So, is the "take your stuff home and we'll tell you if we want you to return" part of the story correct? If so, man... that's shitty.

4. sg86

sg86 Member

That's pretty much the ultimate in passive aggressive.

5. Killick

Yeah, with the money they're paying the Beacon expats (which I assume is more than usual), it'd be pretty hard for sports NOT to take a hit.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can't even joke about this.

7. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

The executive editor used the same strategy in San Jose: call people at home and tell them not to come in. There probably is no good way to lay off someone, but that definitely ain't it.

8. Killick

Story's a little old, but at least there's some background here:
    http://crainscleveland.com/article/20081117/FREE/311179977

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

What if they made their little chicken-shit phone calls to the discarded 27 but then NO ONE came in to work Tuesday. And Wednesday. And for however long people could afford to hold out, in a massive protest of this crap.

Never gonna happen, I know. Sure would like to see it just this once. A newsroom that stayed empty all day or all week or all month long because of this layoff mentality. They going to immediately start the firing/hiring wheels in motion? They would fail miserably in the short term.

10. Killick

You know, not to even look someone in the eye when you're cutting them loose... that's just cowardly. It's unseemly, it's juvenile, it's inhuman. I wish a terrible venereal disease on the managers who conjured this little scheme.

11. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

As predicted earlier, this will be the executive editor's opportunity to axe people who a) disagree with her in meetings and b) older white males.

As a middle-aged woman, she is protective of middle-aged women, unless they disagree with her.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'd like to see all the folks in cleveland visit an attorney and draw up a massive lawsuit for mental anguish. this is horseshit and makes me embarrassed to say i'm a journalist.

Draft saved Draft deleted