1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone have experience working the Super Bowl?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by adelosr1, Jan 15, 2013.

1. adelosr1

adelosr1 New Member

I'm credentialed for my first Super Bowl this year and was just wondering if anyone on here had any tips/pointers/anecdotes/warnings about what to expect and how things usually run.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

D
    Don't do a lot of blow the night before
    Don't head to Mexico the night before
    Don't proposition an undercover police officer.

That about covers it.

3. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Avoid "Famous Love Acts." Seriously, don't go in there.

4. adelosr1

adelosr1 New Member

Haha, OK, maybe I should've added that I'm a New Orleans resident and I don't need tips on how not to get too shit-hammered or not contract an STD.

5. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

be really hot and you'll get googled a lot.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

No humblebragging from the pressbox.

7. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I was fortunate enough to cover the Super Bowl in Dallas two years ago and, aside from the snow and icy weather, I had a blast.
    Try to do everything you can. Go to every press conference possible, hit the media party, network and, most importantly, get the stories you're supposed to get, but also look out for the ones you may not have been asked to do, but present themselves. The latter is why you go to every press conference you can, as long as it doesn't interfere with your original assignment, and you talk with the people sitting around you in the media work room. Don't talk their ear off, just introduce yourself and your outlet.
    But, definitely talk to people - it's how I got into Jim McMahon's Super Bowl party the night before the game - and hit every press conference - especially the Hall of Fame announcement, the NFLPA's and the commissioner's.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Mizzougrad not checking his Google alerts? :D

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

RonClements' advice was excellent. It leaves very little to add, and since you live in New Orleans, you know where to eat. If you have any hidden restaurant gems, recommending them to visiting press and bigwigs is an excellent way to network. You'll be popular.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm stunned he wasn't the first to respond. Is he sick? Dead?

:)

11. adelosr1

adelosr1 New Member

I've taken Michael_ Gee's advice and put up a post recommending all the best places to eat food and listen to live music in NOLA http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/94390/

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ha ha ha... :D

It depends on what capacity you're there in. If you're the beat writer, or the team is from your area, it will be one of the craziest weeks of your life.

If you're there in a backup capacity, it can be quite fun, especially in New Orleans.

New Orleans is the perfect place to have it. It makes it so much easier than some of the other host cities.

Draft saved Draft deleted