1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone have any luck quitting smoking?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tom_Brinkman01, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Just looking for suggestions.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Take up a full-time residence in Marriott hotels.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yes. Several times, actually.

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I've found toothpicks work pretty well. Plus, you can impress chicks that kind of look like Jessica Alba by doing tongue tricks with 'em.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I haven't quit for good, but the times I managed to quit, two things were absolutely essential.

Sunflower seeds. Gotta have something to do with your hands and mouth. I've had friends have pretty good luck with the nicotine gum/lozenges.
    Stay out of bars. It's impossible. A trip to the bar has sparked my relapse every time.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Get an Rx for Wellbutrin.

Ramp down. Pick a day to quit.

Quit. Add nicotine patch, as needed.

Long walks, as needed.

Krispy Kreme, as needed.

Squeeze small executive stress ball, as needed. Squeeze hard. Squeeze first into tiny lump of carbon; then into diamond, as I did.

Refill Wellbutrin Rx as needed.

Chew gum, swizzle sticks, straws, etc., as needed.

Per spouse: Give up alcohol, as it only triggers the urge to smoke.

Chew spouse's head off, as needed.

Also abandon, at least temporarily, these cigarette triggers: morning coffee, friends, bars, telephone conversations, sex, happiness, stress, satisfaction, dissatisfaction, etc. It will be suggested you replace these things with a healthy, healthy walk.

See above.

You and your bowels will be estranged for a week or two. Don't worry, one of you will apologize eventually.

Breathe deep.

Breathe deep on many long, lonely walks to Krispy Kreme, chewing now-unnecessary swizzle stick and palming 2-karat diamond stress ball.

Repeat.

Good luck.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I've quit a few times, once for 2 years.

6 months ago I quit again, for good, cold turkey. It's the only way to go. Exercise, too. Eat candy. Chew gum. Drink lots of water. Stay active. Get through the first 72 hours. Then the first week. Then 10 days. It gets easier.

You can do it. You really can.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yeah, but after reading jmacg's post, I'm not sure anyone wants to.

But good-on'ya for quitting, anywhoo.

9. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

You know how I'd do it? Same way I quit being fat.

I don't want to be owned (aside from my "relationship" with Papa G) and the food/inactivity was owning me. So I took control of my own situation. When the urge to overeat came along, and it still does, I kinda talk shit to the urge. I taunt it. I love doing that.

I'm barely over the sanity line, yes. I'm much thinner, yes.

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

That's the money shot.

'Specially this line:

"Also abandon, at least temporarily, these cigarette triggers: morning coffee, friends, bars, telephone conversations, sex, happiness, stress, satisfaction, dissatisfaction, etc."

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I used the patch both times I quit. It was incredibly tough, but it is worth it.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I don't understand this patch thing. You try to quit yet you allow streams of nic into your bloodstream.

Just do it cold turkey. Yes, you get moody for the first week to 10 days, but it gets better. Exercise is an awesome antidote to the moodiness.

Draft saved Draft deleted