1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone have an issue with this photo?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedCanuck, Mar 11, 2008.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I had an editor who wouldn't allow us to run a photo of the guys in soccer making a wall and covering their crotches with their hands. I mean, what else are they supposed to do with their hands in soccer?
    One of the worst decisions I've been involved in was for our all-area baseball team. The prep editor worked his butt off getting it organized and he got everybody there in their school uniforms. They were fanned out over the pitcher's mound, the photog was on a ladder at home plate. It was an awesome full-color shot with all the blues, reds, greens. But the editor axed it because the one black guy on the team had his hat down, it cast a shadow and you couldn't see his face.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Staying away from the crotch of minors is a good idea.

I also have a new signature.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm with simon.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Then tell the guy who says that to go find another job.

If I'm adamant about something not running and you use that kind of language with me, you can pack your shit up and go. That isn't correcting your editor. That's insubordination.

I tell my staff to tell me when I fuck up. And I tell them not to mince words with me. But there's a difference between saying what you honestly think about one of my decisions and being insubordinate.

5. Relax, forever.

I should have said, politely tell your editor to grow up. But if the editor says don't run it, I wouldn't run it. But I would certainly state my case.

I'll pack up my shit and go now.

6. forever_town

That's different. I have no problems with your politely stating your case. As I've said before, I expect the people who work for me to do that. I'm disappointed in them if they don't.

Move along, nothing to see here.

7. forever_town

No, but I do growing out pretty well. ;)

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Our paper has a "no crotch policy" for gymnastics and figure skating — of any level.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

What about for wrestling? There's many more creepy photos of that than even gymnastics or skating.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

snatches ... the whole bunch.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If it's on her back on the mat, there should be an issue with it. It's in the air and she's obviously doing a move. Your editor is a dumbass

Draft saved Draft deleted