1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone excited about the new Kindles?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Has anyone gotten one yet?

I have to wait another month, but I've been reading all of the reviews and it sounds like it's pretty sweet for the money...

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I've seen mixed reviews, but it seems like most of the negative ones are centered on the fact that it's not an iPad, and the positive ones seem to come from more of a "clean slate" start.

I got my wife an iPad2 for her birthday earlier this year, and it's become a family tug-of-war with our 2 kids always wanting to use it. So we ordered 2 of the Fires to give the kids for Christmas, and they are supposed to arrive Saturday. I figure it will be perfect for apps, web browsing, streaming movies and TV shows and especially reading and being able to "borrow" books with the Amazon Prime subscription.

The best part? Buying the 2 Fires, plus protective cases, screen protectors, the Amazon Prime subscription and a couple of Amazon gift cards they can spend on apps came to about $250 less than just my wife's iPad.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If you keep everything on Amazon Cloud the memory won't be a big factor. I use Amazon cloud for all my music on my Android and it's flawless.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Anyone got one yet?

My wife uses my laptop for exactly two things: 1. Read HuffPo 2. Read her Hotmail e-mail.

You can do both on the Kindle Fire, right? In other words, it accesses all of the World Wide Web, no?

5. Mizzougrad96

I get mine on Dec. 17.

6. Mizzougrad96

I went and tried it out at Best Buy a couple weeks ago. They're pretty sweet.

Obviously, they're going to lose most/all comparisons to the iPad, other than cost, but they were really nice. If you look at the other iPad knockoffs that are cheaper, most are pretty shitty...

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm very happy with my fire. Buncha apps, though I am partial to Doodle Jump.

8. Mizzougrad96

Poin,

What do you use it for?

9. poindexter

I don't have a laptop, so now I can SportsJournalists.com argue about Tebow in front of the couch at home, not in the office. I just bought it mostly to surf the web, and not be restricted in my house, without having to lug a laptop. I like the apps, like one with the various police and fire calls. I watched The Great Santini in our living room, where there is no tv (my wife had no interest in watching on a 7 inch screen).

Just a fun little toy, without lugging a laptop around.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Got the wife one for Xmas. Pretty sure she knows she's getting it, yet I think I'm more pumped for it than she is. A buddy recently got one and raves about it. And he's a techy nerd or whatever.

$500 for an iPad is insanity. No thanks.

11. poindexter

yeah, $200 is a pretty damn good price. I've never touched an ipad, so I don't know what I am missing.

Do a search for Kindle Fire apps, you'll find plenty.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Picked up my Kindle Fire yesterday. So far, so good. The best buy in our area was selling them for half-price ($99) with a two-year contract for Verizon mobile hotspot ($50 per month ... I was playing about that for Clearwire, which I can now ditch). Doing everything I'd want from a pad so far.

Draft saved Draft deleted