1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone Ever Written A Movie?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 12, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There are number of good books on writing screenplays. I think there's one on one of our bookshelves at home.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm quoting myself.

The book I was referring to is Robert McKee's ""Story: Substance, Structure, Style, and the Principles of Screenwriting".

This is not a "Screenwriting for Dummies" book. It's over 400 pages long and is part philosophy, part formula.

3. I actually have "Screenwriting for Dummies." I was 16 or so when I bought it.

Although I have never written a screen play, I did write a letter to Paramount suggesting a movie (think Little Big League but football) ... with me as writer/director/star (of course). I was 10 or 12 at the time. Anyway, a lady from Paramount called and thanked me for the submission and was very nice and made me feel like a big deal (even though it was nothing special). Made my year and is now an embarrassing story for my parents to tell.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

That's awesome that they did that. Hard to imagine that would happen today.

5. Yeah, it definitely was. I'm on the young side so it wasn't that long ago, but in the days of budget and staff cuts, you are probably right, it wouldn't happen now. I have no idea who called me, but it is quite a nice memory.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

That's an awesome story. I wish I had something similar. The only thing I have to compare that to was when, at the age of seven, I called the local cable company to tell them that I think they should just take all the commercials off of television shows and make a commercial channel for those people that want to see them.

Thinking back on it, I feel like an idiot. But I was seven at the time. It seemed like a valid point.

Draft saved Draft deleted