1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone ever work for UPS?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BigSleeper, Oct 13, 2008.

1. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Make sure to giggle every time they say "package handler."

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I also once (1985-ish) worked during a Christmas season for 3 or 4 weeks
    The job was called "driver's aid" and I rode along with the drivers on their daily routes.
    At Christmas, the trucks are overloaded with packages and the drivers, at that time, were told not to return until they were emptied.
    We hustled and got done usually just as it was getting dark.
    I remember it was cold there in central Mississippi as I rode along with that open panel door breeze.
    Good money, too. Like $12 an hour I think.

3. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Nice

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Hourly rate in the load and unload is not good, but the benefits are good.
    I did seasonal work for UPS when I was in college, but that was more that was 20 years ago, when the pay scale was outstanding.
    I have a friend who does part-time work in load/unload. He's between jobs and finishing grad school. Like I said, the pay rate now is not very good, but the benefits are solid.
    If you work your way into a delivery job, the pay gets better.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

In the early 90s, when the economy was bad and I was out of work, I applied for a job with UPS. They couldn't hire me because I had a cousin who worked there and they do all their promotion from within.
    There were dozens of people in that room filling out job applications and I'd be willing to bet there was something that disqualified at least half those people.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'd rather work at IPS.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Hi Doug, how's Carrie?

8. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I would, but they couldn't guarantee me a route through Rego Park.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Carrie's doing OK. But there's a blonde kid from California who won't stop calling the house.

BigSleeper -- by the way, I think of you every time I see the '90s episode of The Simpsons -- whatever you do, don't go to New Jersey. Trust me. You'll wind up in the hospital. And make friends with the big, black dude. He's good people.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Given the cost of shipping we all work for UPS in some way

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The shipping's the easy part. It's the handling where they're really screwing you.

12. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Related industry, same concept.

You'll lose weight. Even if you don't want to. I started working on the ramp with Delta in the summer at close to 300 pounds. When I left the ramp to move to Richmond, I was down to 260. With the constant exercise and sweat, you'll have no choice.

From what I understand, they're an excellent company and there are opportunities abound if you stick with them. The pay is decent and the hours suck. But all in all, not a bad move if you can handle it.

Draft saved Draft deleted