1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone ever work for UPS?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BigSleeper, Oct 13, 2008.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I have an interview for a part-time package handler position. Was just curious if anyone else has ever worked for them.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Nope. I still wear extra snug brown shorts on weekends, though.

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

As long as brown does something for ya.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I have a cousin who worked for UPS for 10 years. Was paid very well and treated very well. Busy as hell in December, as you might expect.

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I might try to get a job with them soon, so I can see the guys in brown shorts make some money to support myself.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Kinda of a shitty job, that handler position, but you'll get a good night's sleep, I know that, loading and unloading trucks.

I know a lot about this industry, BTW. If you ever really want to know about it.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

good job for college students. and thank gawd, they have good worker's comp insurance. or at least they did when i was there. have lifetime medical on a knee that will very soon (as in now) need replacing.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I worked for UPS for a month. Training the first week was fine. First week in the trailers was fine. Had a great, great supervisor. But UPS, having the great benefits they do, allow men (or at least they did 12 years ago) to take a month off to be with their newborns. Had a new supervisor and within two weeks, I and three others under his watch had quit.

Good pay, good benefits, tough work but probably a decent part-time job to have if you can swing it.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You'll be treated fairly, which in this economy, is saying something.

10. NDub

NDub Guest

I worked there for about nine months 5-6 years ago. I was a part-time truck unloader in the evening. You will work your freakin' ass off. Eventually they stuck me in some trucks by myself to scan and stack boxes and that's a real work out. But hey if you're looking to lose a few pounds then this will do it.

Also, it was unionized when I was there so you're covered on some stuff. I had one supe who was a good guy, good boss. Other was kind of a dick, but we dealt with him.

Pay was OK for a part-time job and you're always guaranteed I believe at least four hours a day (M-F) after you've been there for a certain amount of time. Also, as someone said, come mid-November and through the New Year you will be very busy. You also never work weekends.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Remember what they said in Family Guy, Lift with your back, not your knees.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Worked for UPS over Christmas one year in college. It was a four-week gig, and a pain in the ass. The pay was cool. Unfortunately, I was working a shift that started at 4am. Had to call at 3am to see if I was needed that day (sucked!) And I worked my ass off, unloading trucks, in open docks in December.
    Worked. It. Off.
    Froze it off, too.
    Was never so glad as when that was over.

Draft saved Draft deleted