1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone EVER seen this (softball umping)?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rockbottom, May 1, 2009.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Ok, coed softball last night. Final half-inning of a onme-run game. Girl "catching" (occasionally a pitch with her legs) ... Defense retired batting side with THREE STRAIGHT pop-outs to the catcher. Yep. Three straight foul pop-ups to this girl, who calmly gloves all three like she is Carlton Fisk.

Wow.

RB

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Sounds like you were umping some good ball players

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Oh, believe me, I was earning my wage watching that garbage. It was also two guys out of three that popped out. Just so statistically improbable.

RB

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'll bet you they were wearing jeans, weren't they?

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This thread is worthless without pics.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Hoping to see "hooters flapping in all directions?" [year old crossthread]

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I had a game last night where the home team defeated the visitors 23-0. At one point, the manager of the visiting team switched his battery so that his catcher became the pitcher and his pitcher became the catcher.

Oh dear God. That bottom of the second inning seemed to take forever. After the visitors finished their at bat in the top of the third, I called the game.

Then I filled in for the umpire supervisor who filled in when another umpire didn't show up. And I got hit when the catcher missed a pitch and it hit above my chest protector and onto my right shoulder.

No matter how much umpires at these levels make, it's not nearly enough.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Bouncy bouncy!

9. topsheep

topsheep Member

Covering a rec league softball game a few years ago and a lefty pitched to a lefty catcher with a lefty batter at the bat. Crouched in the right place to show the uniqueness of the situation.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't get worried until there are three straight unassisted putouts by the shortstop.

Draft saved Draft deleted