1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone Ever Launch An Ezine?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Anyone here ever produced their own ezine — or worked for one?

I know of a guy who has a pretty successful one.

It's not his full-time job, but he makes decent money on the side producing it.

Just wondering if anyone's done one?

And, wondering if you need special software or programs etc. to do one?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, I know a guy who's done one. Started out as kind of a monthly newsletter that he sent to friends, but turned into something closer to an e-zine.

The content's the most important thing -- if you don't have enough, or if it sucks, it really doesn't matter how well you produce.

Like Moddy always says, "Give me something to read."

3. Pete Incaviglia

Yeah. I'm toying with an idea for one. Content I have. Experience I have. Contacts and sources I have. Opinions I have. Time (in the mornings before work) I have.

How the hell you do it? I have no idea.

I just looked at the one I know of and you click the pages and it turns. Looks like an actual magazine. It can't be cut and pasted or forwarded.

I have to find similar software.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Dunno, man. That sounds something like TSN Today, which is a helluva lot more work.

You're probably better off just starting a blog and contributing great content to it, and trying to build whatever ad revenue you can if you're looking for some additional income. It's a lot easier to design a template for that and find a host server for it than it is to produce and distribute a real e-zine.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Technavia.

$400 set up fee.

$400 to host the content for an entire calendar year plus .40 to .80 cents per page uploaded.

They do everything. Scripting advertisements, coding payment pages and everything.

They can post your ezine, if it is glossy or flat or both in a 3-4 hour tournaround

24 hour tech support. It's real cool.

6. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

These guys?

http://www.tecnavia.com/ee/tecnavia/media.html

They look like they mostly work for the big guys (I see St. Pete, the Chicago Tribune, the NY Daily News). Do they do small-scale work, too?

7. Pete Incaviglia

I know the one I know of — and its a niche product, as mine would be — costs just $95 an issue to upload and host. That's it. And the cost for a six-month subscription is $5. And the guy is making money. Not enough to quit his full-time job, but enough to make it worthwhile.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yup they do like 50 different papers for Gannett some small dailies in Michigan, the Army Times, which is a weekly I believe and some other small pubs.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I was part of one that was geared toward soccer fans written by soccer fans.

I earned a season press credential for it and covered the team for that year. The next year, I was listed in the team's media guide as the beat reporter for the site.

Yes, the league was MLS, but it was still a season credential to cover a sport.

Draft saved Draft deleted