1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone Ever Had Food Poisoning?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, May 1, 2009.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

the smell of buttermilk can give me the heaves. has to be the most disgusting drink ever.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I know, counterintuitive isn't it? I guess it's the principle of negative x negative = positive.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Stick with the Gatorade/Powerade. Lots of dehydration going on there.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I also had it diagnosed once...summer after my senior year of HS. Had Taco Bell one night, woke up feeling like crap the next day. No vomiting, but for the next week, everything I ate came out the other end. It was really inconvenient, too, since I finally had a girlfriend and this made for a couple awkward dates ("Why don't we just hang out at my parents' house...and sit outside the bathroom door...")

Finally went to the doctor and he asked me if I'd had any fast food lately. I said Taco Bell and he said that was probably it. Haven't touched that shit since.

5. dsg155

dsg155 Member

I had to do the antibiotics once. Had the aches, pains, chills etc... Felt like the worst damn hangover ever.

6. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Let me reiterate the need to worry about dehydration. I had a food poisoning episode in 2007 and did not maintain hydration sufficiently. That caused me to pass 4 kidney stones.

I assure you that food poisoning is a walk in the park compared to passing 4 kidney stones and my doctor said that if you have a proclivity for such things dehydration for 24 hours can bring them on.

Gatorade - - more Gatorade - - and then some more Gatorade.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Got it from either sundried tomatoes or gorganzola on a pizza in Moab once. All I know is I was feeling OK for most of the night, then about 2 a.m. I started to feel a tummy rumble. Next thing I know, I'm puking and crapping my guts out and couldn't be more than six feet from the toilet for the next eight hours. Not fun. It was actually the last time I cried from something. The pain was agonizing. It was gone in 24 hours, though.

8. KG

KG Active Member

One time I had it and completely passed out in the bathroom at the E.R. This soldier that had been outside the door (for whatever reason) when I went in is the one that knew something was wrong when I never came out. Then later, the doc that put the IV in (after six failed attempts) somehow had me draining from the IV before he hooked the bag up. All I could do was just watch, because I was too weak to say anything. Then when the main doc finally saw me he got on to me for not coming to the ER sooner. In reality, I'd been there for 14 hours before they got me in the back where a doc could see me. If I could have talked right before they took me back, I would have been asked to be taken home to die. That's how miserable I was.

9. azom

azom Member

Last week. Taco Time. Both the wife and I. I missed one day of work, wife missed two, only now feeling back to normal.

You'll be week for about 5-6 days afterward. Just take it easy on your body.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Had it once when I was a one-person sports department and couldn't miss work. Miserable, miserable. Luckily I could do most of my work at home and lived very close to the office. But I did write an inflammatory column on the worst day of illness, one that totally riled up fan boards and flooded my inbox with hate mail. Not a good idea.

In addition to the Gatorade, go for some peppermint tea to settle your stomach. And if you're still puking, try a milkshake. It doesn't hurt as much coming back up as more acidic stuff.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

This is probably good advice no matter what you're puking from. I need to remember that.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

As long as you can deal with all the boys in the yard.

Draft saved Draft deleted