1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone Ever Had Food Poisoning?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, May 1, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hate to say it, but I got it from In-N-Out in December 2007. As much as I love the place, I've only eaten there once since (understandably).

I was on the bathroom floor about 3 a.m. and spent the next day at home, in and out of the bathroom. Next day, my body was fine but insanely weak.

Eat light for a few days, but when it's over, it's over, thank god. Hopefully, the worst has passed, Pete.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

You should be clear of it in another day or so, but it definitely is no fun. I got bad lobster in Boston once and had to take a cross-country, overnight flight (with four-hour layover!) a few hours later. One of the most unpleasant experiences of my life.

3. dargan

dargan Active Member

I think I got food poisoning at Applebee's about three or four years ago.

Haven't eaten there since. Have gone with friends who were eating there and just sat there and drank Coke.

I've pretty much sworn off all chain sit-down restaurants because they're all the same and pretty much suck. The only exception is Cheddar's. It can be pretty good. I still eat fast food, though.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I didn't get sick last time, I just didn't enjoy it. And you're right, that was the last time I had fast food. That was January.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Yeah, I am just so frickin' weak. I just want to sleep. I feel good, as in no aches, pains, chills, etc. Just no appetite, upset stomach — and VERY weak and tired.

This is, bar none, the worst experience of my life.

6. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

BRAT diet = bananas, rice, applesauce, toast

I think "food poisoning" is a phrase that is bandied about pretty recklessly. Not that I don't think that something upset your stomach, but how do you know it was food poisoning unless you went to the hospital and got it diagnosed?

I actually was diagnosed with camphylobacter two months ago from eating improperly cooked chicken. Not fun. 3 days of major antibiotics and I felt 100% better.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I had food poisoning on my 23rd birthday. I was working at a college's nursing department at the time and I'd taken the day off so I could just chill on my birthday, but I ended up being sick. Then I had to take the next couple of days off because of my sickness.

That doesn't compare to the time I caught a major cold when I was on vacation and I had to take another couple of days of sick leave. I came back that following Wednesday and went to work Thursday. One of the nurses took one look at me and told me I needed to go back home because I was still not feeling right.

It sucks being sick.

8. RecentAZgrad

RecentAZgrad Active Member

I had food poisoning last week. It was from bad chicken I ate on Saturday night, didn't feel it until about 3 a.m. but the next 24 hours were hell. I went through an entire bottle of ginger ale and just chilled on crackers. My sister did bring me some medicine which really helped. I'll try and find out what it was.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Got it at work one time. A bunch of staffers went to lunch and brought back leftover antipasto salad for the rest of us.
    Wiped out everyone for the weekend.
    It sucked losing a weekend, but I don't think we could have gotten a paper out if it was a weekday, because about 10 people got sick.

10. KG

KG Active Member

I've had food poisoning so many times I can tell you I have it at least an hour before I get sick for the first time. I know the difference between food poisoning sick and virus sick. I think I'm just really sensitive to bad food germs or something.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I had the same thing. I called the health department on the restaurant. They checked it out. Didn't find anything, but checked it out at least.

You should call them on McDonalds.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The best thing to stop the heaves: Buttermilk.

Draft saved Draft deleted