1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone ever been tasered? Or got a friend who has?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

I see it happened to Dale Davis recently
    http://thebiglead.com/?p=773

and howard stern plays a hilarious clip from the show COPS of some people getting tasered ...

but anyone personally know anyone who has been tastered?

it's tough not to laugh when watching clips of it happening ...

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Never been tasered, but I have seen up-close demontrations of these stun sticks. Don't know if you've ever seen them but they're totally non-electric, instead downing people through sheer application at pressure points. They've tried using them in Texas prisons. Anyone know the name of these things? I'm drawing a blank even though we did a story on them once.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I play softball with a bunch of prosecutors and private practice attorneys. After a game one night we go out to a local bar, and some state troopers they know are there. One of the prosecutors says he'll pay $200 to another one if he'll get tasered. So he did. And he fell and scraped his knees. It left a bit of a bruise. But otherwise he was fine and we all just laughed about it.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Dumbass TV reporter here in town got tasered as part of a story on how the cops subdue people.

Takes a real fucktard to volunteer to have that done.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Give him the taser! The taser!!! [/Beavis]

6. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

We had a news-side reporter get tasered a couple years ago for a feature. No way in hell I'd ever volunteer for that, but the art from it was fantastic in a schadenfraude sort of way.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Ask Bruce Martin. He got tasered after the driving, uh, incident in Indy last year - so the police reports said.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Brother is a cop and as part of his training he got tasered and foam pepper sprayed.
    He said that if they could do either to every bad apple high school kid, the crime rate would drop to zero.
    He also said he'd rather get kicked in the nuts then get either done again.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A fraternity buddy of mine did it on a dare...

It's safe to say he never did it again...

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I've had both taser and pepper spray. Neither are fun.

When I was in military police school in 96, both were part of the curriculum, but I think they have been dropped now.

The pepper spray was the worst. 45 minutes of splashing water in my eyes, and it still burned. Not fun.

The taser training was cool. We were at the firing range for a practice day when and they smacked us in the back of the leg, we had to get off a couple of shots at the target. It was supposed to "simulate" being shot and having to fire back. Pretty cool training. I got off three rounds before I hit the ground. Hit the target with one in the shoulder.

Don't want to do either again.

11. joe king

joe king Active Member

A ``friend.'' Yeah, that's it. It wasn't me. It was a ``friend.''

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think that most police departments require cops who may use them to experience them. Good idea so that you don't go around zapping and spraying folks for shits and giggles.

Draft saved Draft deleted