1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone ever been on Jeopardy!? I have an audition in one month...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SuperflySnuka, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

How much do you wager, Mr. Connery?

I ♥ BOOBS

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

You know you'd be able to hold your own in sports (and probably music and movies), so, if it were me, I'd start with art history, biology and world geography. Those are standard issue categories. Get on Wikipedia (regardless of its accuracy) and just let it steer you like the tide. Or inhale a world almanac. In the end, there's no way to prepare. You either know these little bits of shit or you don't.

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

"Who are three people who've never been in my kitchen?"

4. To all with sarcastic answers, thanks....

To all with actual answers, I appreciate it. I'm more than excited to have gotten this far. I would give just about anything to get to the next level, wish me luck...

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Say something to make Trebek nervous. Like when he asks a serious question about your bio, just utter "suplex".

That would be so cool.

7. Deskhack

Deskhack Member

I have actually been to, and passed, a Jeopardy audition test, although I didn't get on the show. Here's what I can tell you:

1. Study up on geopgraphy, presidents and vice presidents and try to learn about as many world leaders as you can. You won't remember EVERYTHING you cram about, but you'll learn quite a bit. Get to know a little bit about the biographies of a variety of famous people, particularly scientists, politicians, authors and other notable names from history.

2. The Wikipedia is a good source, especially when you're trying to learn about books you haven't read or art and opera you haven't seen. J! rarely asks very detailed questions about any of those subjects, so a good once over is all you need. I know the Wikipedia has a reputation for inaccuracy, but it's right a hell of a lot more often than it's wrong.

3. Bone up on current events and pop culture. It always comes up.

4. I'd recommend learning the plots of all of Shakespeare's major plays. This ALWAYS comes up.

5. Relax at the test site. Once you pass the test, how good you are on the buzzer is almost irrelevant when they have you play the mock game. What they're looking for is people who speak up, keep the game moving and look as though they're having fun. Also, try to be as gregarious as possible when they ask you to talk a little about yourself. I think this is where I hurt myself. A little (or a lot) of coffee before the audition is a good idea. Be a bigger version of yourself.

Good luck! Even if you don't pass, you'll get some great stories and meet some interesting people.

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Wear a big hat.

It's funny.

As for actual advice: Never use anything you've learned from this board.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Get a version of the home game

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

A former boss of mine was on Jeopardy. He told me that one of the keys to the audition is to appear to be a normal person. I know that sounds stupid, but Jeopardy isn't looking for geeks. There were a bunch of trivia nerds at his audition -- the types that go trivia games at different bars every day of the week -- and most of them were preening about their trivia prowess and all had obscure hobbies. My boss was a normal guy who drank beer, played video games and wouldn't creep anyone out. So don't try to show anyone up at the audition -- be witty, but not hiliarious; be gracious; don't pump your fist at every correct answer; don't act like you know you are the smartest guy in the room; etc.

As far as the timing issue, I remember reading that Ken Jennings prepped for that by standing behind his recliner holding his child's ring toy behind his back (this thing [​IMG] without the rings on it) so he could simulate the feel of having to ring a buzzer by the sound of Alex's voice. Worth a shot.

Agreed on knowing Shakespeare, potent potables, presidents and vice-presidents and state capitals.

11. "The man of the hour
    Has an air of great power."

Oops, wrong Superfly. My bad.
    Good luck, though.

12. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

What is a Qunice?

Draft saved Draft deleted