1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone else tired of "lack of respect" quotes...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by stix, Jan 6, 2009.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Damn.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"Why didn't God want the other team to win?"

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

One I got a kick out of a few years ago was from a kid on a state power that steamrolled the team I covered on the way to repeating as state champs. Defensive end on the winning team said they felt they had something to prove after "They called us soft in the newspaper."

I should have asked who "they" were and what paper carried such a quote. I wrote every word my paper ran previewing the game and never typed the word soft the entire week.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

That's actually a good point. I guess I should stop hanging around so many woe-is-me Texas fans.

On the other hand, Texas hasn't finished out of the top 10 in a long while. So picking them 11th might as well have been picking them to lose to Baylor.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Player/coach: "All year long, we never got any respect."
    Me: "Don't get ahead of yourself. You still ain't shit."

;) :D ;)

6. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

I thought the same thing while watching the postgame interview. I mean, who counted Texas out? Who never gave Texas a chance? Texas is one of the best and most respected programs in the country the last 5-10 years. Doesn't everyone give Texas at least a chance?

And to the praising God/Jesus thing, I offer George Carlin:

"Athletes praise Jesus when they win, but never blame him when they lose. 'Jesus made me drop the ball. The Good Lord tripped me up behind the line of scrimmage.'"

God nor Jesus doesn't care who wins the game, and Texas didn't win because Colt McCoy was more blessed by God than Terelle Pryor. The game was won because Texas made nice adjustments to Ohio State's blitzes by utilizing short slant routes, and because of a bullshit late-hit call.

And if we want to inflict the holy into sports, then we must admit that God hates the shit out of Beanie Wells, who has all the talent in the world, but can't seem to make it three quarters without getting tweaked.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Word for word.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If you think God wants a team to win, you also think God wants the other team to lose; and son? God doesn't care who wins a damn game.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Especially the glorified exhibition games.[/crossthreading]

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

But God does care about everyone on both teams. [steps out of pulpit]

11. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Look, I squirm as much as anybody when the first thing out of a player's mouth is thanking God. But it's lazy to make the leap that the player is saying God cares more about one team than the other. Often the player is thanking God for the ability, etc., to perform at that level. You may not buy into it, but there's nothing wrong with a player having some gratitude for the physical and mental gifts that he has.

12. Yep, that's exactly what I said. I may not quote it, but to me it's way better than guys thinking that they run a 4.4 because they're better people who try harder than the rest of us at sports and life (and plenty of them think that).

Draft saved Draft deleted