1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone else tired of "lack of respect" quotes...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by stix, Jan 6, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Then when you use your "lack of respect" to win, you "shocked the world." Hate that one too.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

wfw

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I agree, to a point. However, living in this area, I know that nobody figured Texas would win more than eight games this season. The most optimistic Texas fans thought 10 wins was a longshot, at best.

To have the season they had, it really just came out of the blue.

So if this is what said player is talking about, using the preseason doubters as fuel to a 12-1, BCS bowl-winning season, I don't mind him going to that (admittedly cliched) well. I might not use the quote, but I don't mind him thinking people doubted them. Because, if you go back and read all the season previews, people did doubt them.

4. bob

bob Member

When you hear the 2007-08 champion Celtics saying "nobody gave us a chance," you know we're in Bizarro World.
    I actually once challenged a player who used the respect card. "Who didn't respect you?" I asked. Forget who it was, but I do remember he stood there with his mouth agape before finally saying, "Everyone!"

5. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

They were ranked 11th in the preseason AP poll and 10th in the preseason coaches poll. Oh, to be disbelieved so.

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Our paper has a contest where we pick games, high school, college and the Lions.

During the playoffs, a team won its first two games and I was interviewing the quarterback who started going on about how everyone picks against them, and it's us against the world. "Everyone?" I asked. He stopped and flashed a grin. "Well, you picked us, but everyone else..."

As for Texas, when you throw for 414 yards and only score 24 points against Ohio State, a team that was schooled by USC, then yes, there is a lack of respect, totally earned.

7. I seem to remember Joakim Noah yelling about "Nobody respected us! All the haters didn't give us a chance!" after they won the second title at Florida.

He was right, though. Who would have believed that the No. 1 seed in the tournament, the team that returned all of its starters after dominating the tournament the year before, would have a chance the next season?

I hate it because it turns every interview with players into combat. I get why coaches do it. I don't understand why players, particularly professionals, are so damned gullible as to buy it hook, line and sinker.

8. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I'm more tired of ...

"I owe God all credit for this victory. Without him, this wouldn't have happened."

"The Lord helped us pull through tonight. We really had our backs against the wall."

I know, I know, it's religion, and athletes are showing respect to their savior. But c'mon, unless there's bookies in heaven, God could really give two shits who wins between Texas and Ohio State.

9. While acknowledging that I pause the tape recorder just like everybody else during that sort of spiel, I think that we do these guys a disservice when we think that what they are saying is that God, for example, wanted Texas to beat Ohio State.

I think they believe that without God's gifts, they wouldn't have been capable of accomplishing what they have. Is that really that far off from what we think about those guys?

Personally, I guess it's almost refreshing that some athletes out there recognize that they don't succeed merely because they are better people than the rest of us - and, take my word for it, 99 percent of the guys who run a 4.4 think that they do it because they try and work harder at it than the rest of us - but because they won the genetic lottery.

10. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

I'm strongly suspicious of the posts on our forum putting down Team A before a big game with Team B. "You have no chance," or "You're going to get killed," etc. (O.K., I admit it usually reads "your" going to get killed.) These are coaches and teammates trying to fire up their teams, making up screen names to appear to be from Team B, and it's after these games that you hear the "everybody disrespected us" quotes.

11. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to be a prick or anything, but I never hear that from players. I don't ask questions that can lead to that.

Try asking more specific questions, even if they take longer, even if they're a bit leading, because then you get more varied - and more unique quotes. As an added bonus, coaches and players respect you more, and will therefore open up more, if you talk like you know specifics of the game.

12. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Draft saved Draft deleted