1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone else see "The Fighter?"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ringer, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That makes sense. I doubt actors care about his meltdown. If anything, they probably understand, even if he did go too far.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed this. Like Della, I wondered why the Gatti fights weren't included. Maybe it would have made the film too long? I would have liked to have seen them. Then again, the whole point of the film was the relationship between Dicky and Micky, and once they got back together and had success in the title fight, that was a good natural ending point.

I thought Bale was fantastic. Adams too. I've always been impressed with Wahlberg and his preparation for roles.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Terrific movie. Bail was awesome. The family scared the shit out of me -- particularly the sisters. Enjoyed the early 90s fashion styles. Was disappointed that there was no Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch or New Kids on the Block on the soundtrack. So many opportunities for it to. Was funny to see a fat Mark Wahlberg, even it was for only 5 seconds -- a fill in perhaps? I have no problem with where the movie ended, would have loved to see the Gatti fights, but that would have unnecessarily extended the movie when it had a nice natural break.

4. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Melissa Leo was over the top, but hilarious at times.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I grew up in Lowell, and nothing about her performance was over the top. That's just how mothers in large Irish-Catholic families from Lowell are. It was spot on.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

It's better than Million Dollar Baby because almost every film ever made is better than MDB.
    The most manipulative piece of crap ever.
    The fall was such a phony dramatic device I nearly walked out when it happened.
    I understand -- life can be random. But drama can't. Because if all it takes to wrench emotion out of an audience is a plane crash or heart attack or car wreck, then it's not trick at all to manipulate the audience.
    I liked The Fighter. Excellent movie. Best sports movie of the decade? Decade's only a year old, so yeah, probably.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Even she couldn't save "Leap Year."
    But she is far and away my favorite actress. She can be smart, funny, sexy, even chaste (Doubt). And in this one she showed she can be tough. She's not "A-List" because she's not really trying to be. She's busy making great films, while Witherspoon is cashing checks.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

She's an actress as opposed to a movie star. She was terrific in "Julie & Julia"

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Shouldn't that post be in a pm?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Can't think of one reason why. He posted it and I commented on it.

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Because you might have just outed him. You should delete your post and PM him. Seriously.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I have removed the offending post

I guess it was a case of someone plagiarizing their own work

We've had some serious cases of people cutting and pasting entire columns that are not theirs and passing it off as their own. There was no reason to believe that wasn't the case here.

And if you have a blog, why wouldn't you want others around here to know about it?

Draft saved Draft deleted