1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone else not into fantasy football?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

I'm not.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Biggest time-waster since heroin.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'm not as into it as I have been in previous years. I've done fairly well on the SportsJournalists.com ones.

Except for the salary cap league I'm in right now.

4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I'm not. I can't devote that kind of attention to detail to something so trivial. I tried to be in a picks league once, and got bored with it after four weeks. That being said, I can understand it's a fun hobby for a lot of people, and respect that. To each their own.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I don't enjoy football anywhere near as much as baseball, but this is my second year with one football team and a survivor league and I like the enough.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I don't do any fantasy leagues. Don't have any interest in any of them. Friends and co-workers sure love them, though.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

Quite into the pre-Internet baseball and football fantasy leagues, but when I was getting up at 5 just to see a box score in June, I knew I had to pull back. I've become a consultant, unpaid unfortunately.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Never understood the attraction.

People rooting for a player to do well against their team because he's on their fantasy team? Weird.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Have never been into it at all. I'd rather root for my team and my players than to say have Favre on my fantasy team and have to root for him to destroy my favorite team twice a year. No way.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I did it for 15 years, and gave it up last year for the first time.

I enjoy it, I did pretty well ... but I don't miss it. Too much hassle, too many decisions that occasionally got in the way of enjoying the games. Plus I already have a team, and didn't need that many more players to follow.

I fully understand the attraction, but I've done it long enough that a break has been good. And given what's on my plate now, that break is even more welcome.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I'm in one for comraderie (plus the SportsJournalists.com survival league for prestige!). I spend maybe an hour preparing for the draft and then maybe five minutes a week setting the roster and picking through the waiver wire. It does change the way you watch games, but it creates more league-wide interest for me. And I don't pull against my NFL team to root for somebody on my roster. But I'm not upset if they have good games and the good guys win the game.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Big fan of fantasy baseball, lesser so with basketball. I never liked football, and am sitting this season out, because it is not as true as the other two. In baseball, if you have the best team in real life, you will almost certainly have the best fantasy team. Basketball too, but in football, due to the enormous value of TDs over the work it took to get into position for the TD skews the values too much so that it doesn't ref;ect reality, which to me takes the juice out of it. Availability also messes things up. There's something wrong with your system when it seems like a good idea to draft 6-9 RBs before Peyton Manning.

Draft saved Draft deleted