1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone else not into fantasy football?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Most of the people I work with are into it and I suspect it's that way at every sports department at every paper.
    For some reason it's just never interested me. I can understand how people could be interested in it, though I can't understand why somebody would pass up a vacation in Cancun because of his fantasy league (They have phones, newspapers, Internet and TVs in Cancun, I'm sure. What couldn't he do there that he would have needed to do in his league).
    As you could imagine, I'm left out of a lot of conversations. Other than being left out of those conversations, am I really missing something?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I love the camaraderie of fantasy -- been in my current league since 2001, even though only 3 of them are still at that paper now (we've spread all over the South, and to Ind., Calif., and China.) ... But it gives me a vested interest in every game. I root for my real team anyway, but enjoy the other games more too.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I love fantasy football, but only to a point. I can't do a zillion leagues, like some people. But one with friends from high school (scoring only) and one with former co-workers at a past stop (more common scoring system) seems to work fine for me. Add in a couple survival leagues (takes no time to pick a game) and a pick'em with friends and that's more than enough.

4. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I gave it up a long time ago.

Got tired of rooting only for my fantasy players. I'd rather follow the real games.

5. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

I absolutely can not STAND fantasy football or fantasy leagues for other sports.
    It seems to me to be an incredible waste of time.
    Yes, I participate in three picks leagues.
    But that's just picking the games and watching.
    These people who jabber on about all this fantasy this and fantasy that astound me.
    And these are forward-thinking, smart people on most accounts. I have no problem with them and their fantasy pursuits.
    I just don't have time for it myself.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm cool with fantasy football, fantasy baseball, etc. Like Hed bust, I just don't have the time to mess with it. Drafting players, researching stats, activating lineups, etc. Yeah, you could use auto function, but that's not the real thing.

7. I signed up with some of the other sports writers around the state during my first season in sports and away from news.

Got bored with it after a week.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

Gave it up a few years ago. Surprisingly, I don't miss it at all.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i understand the draw, but chose to just say no many years ago.

10. In Exile

In Exile Member

There's a special place in hell for Dan Okrent for inventing the whole fantasy concept.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I actually tried a new stance this year. I am in six leagues. I have so many players, that when I watch the Sunday games I do not even try to keep track of who is doing what. It's actually really nice. I look at the teams on Monday and Tuesday morning for about five minutes each, alter the lineups and let them sit until Friday when I give them a once over.

I really do not trade that much, but I do sweep the waiver wire as part of the five minute check.

I will do one for hockey and one for hoops. I just have too many people asking me to join leagues in real life because they know what I do, and they think knocking me off would be a challenge.

I am in an auction, keeper NL-only baseball league that is very nice as well. I just need to find an AL-only one as well.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I gave up Fantasy Baseball 3-4 years ago and don't miss it at all.

I'm in two Fantasy Football leagues this year and my team in one league is absolutely killing me due to some guys getting off to slow starts/unexpectedly doing lousy in the early going and with 12-teams, 20-man rosters, the waiver wire is pretty thin.

Draft saved Draft deleted