1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone else having trouble uploading avatars?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Might be inappropriate to start a thread to ask this, but my avatar disappeared awhile back, and I can't seem to get another one uploaded.

When I try, I get an error message that says:

"The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved."

So, I tried putting the file out on flickr so that it could be linked as a URL, and that didn't work either.

Help for noobie appreciated.

(And I am looking forward to not being a noob much longer. Getting close to graduating. Survived 6.5 months, and the only flak was one bow shot from TP.)

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Mine disappeared too, but I never bothered to try to fix it. Glad I could help. :)

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Try http://imgur.com or http://imageshack.com (which I use). Make sure the url ends in .jpg, .gif or .png. Also, any photo brought in from outside will be resized to fit into a square, so if your choice isn't naturally a square, you should crop it or deal with distortion.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

It took a newb to ask the question that fixed my problem. Thanks Vombatus and Versatile.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Versatile! You THE MAN! You fixed it. You restoreth my soul. You've lead me to greener pastures and happy avatars.

We keepers of the highest order of V-named users, Versatile and Vombatus, are holding up our end of the SportsJournalists.com alphabetic spectrum. Or, at least Versatile is. I am more like errand boy or pool boy at the moment. Or keeper of the puke bucket.

Thanks again,
    VB

Draft saved Draft deleted