1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone else have a major problem with this page?

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by Chi City 81, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

Wow. What were they thinking?

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hell, i'd make a butt pirate reference here, but it's too damned easy.

3. I went to the Outer Banks Sentinel home page, and clicked on the PDF for the entire preview section.

Apparently the players were donning clothing and playing characters from the Lost Colony, a dramatic production at Roanoke Island. The editor says in his introductory column: "The Lost Colony is a play we can all relate to as part of the county’s history, and some natives are likely descendants of those first colonists who came here."

I'm sure there was no racist intent, but it is a bit uncomfortable, awkward and unfair to the black kid that he has to play a native, while the white kids get to be swashbuckling explorers (although equally ridiculous looking). I understand what they were going for, but this is an idea that probably should have been tabled.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Yeah, there's a huge problem. The guy in the inset photo is out of costume.

I'm actually a little impressed that a weekly paper in a small town (the OBX shrinks like crazy when all us pissant Virginians leave for the fall) would be that inventive in doing a football tab cover. Of course, even if everyone there understands and appreciates the historical context, the concept should have walked the plank.

Future lede: "Just like Roanoke Colony, the Manteo defense disappeared without a trace"

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

There is a high school in Idaho called the Butte County Pirates.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'd be giggling too much like a schoolgirl to design that shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted