1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone else getting bombarded by angry parents?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FuturaBold, May 8, 2008.

1. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

FuturaBold, I think my area team wants to schedule a doubleheader :)

2. times38

times38 Member

my rag has a lazy preps guy who can barely be bothered to get out of his desk, we barely cover anybody. it's incredibly difficult for me to deal with some of these coaches and parents and not say "Yeah, you're absolutely right our preps guy is horseshit."

3. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I wasn't above calling out our columnist for being a lazy bastard when I was just a lowly preps writer for a mid-major (240K on Sunday). Why aren't you guys lining up at the sports editor's door demanding that he light a fire under that sorry P.O.S? Every time he slacks off, it's just more work for you and the rest of the staff.

4. times38

times38 Member

believe me I've tried. our SE doesn't care about preps, although he cares about them more than our preps guy does.

5. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

How did you guess... hey, they won finally - the streak may have been longer than seven years but that was far back as folks could trace back ... And they scored 18 runs in the victorious effort (17 or so unearned)... i think it was like an 18-8 final, with maybe four hits between the two teams ...

6. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

just keep the angry parents at home ... ;-)

7. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

With an SE like that, it sounds like you might be in a mid-sized or larger metro market. If that's the case, I hope your college guys are embarrassing the preps guy by getting the 411 on local recruiting developments first. That would help drive home the point that you're saddled with a slacker.

8. fremont

fremont Member

This was how I looked at it, and as such I took it in stride, no matter how ridiculous they were being.

Most parents don't really know how the whole thing works at all, and don't care. They'd never go to any sort of presentation showing them how it works. These people can't really be reasoned with, and they usually think their kid is the second coming of (insert all-time great of whatever sport the kid plays)

It just comes with the territory, and as newspapers continue their slide into irrelevance, any feedback is good feedback.

9. times38

times38 Member

ha, I'm at a less than 20,000 circ that just happens to have a D-I college in it.

but I've pretty much given up all hope at this point. just riding the wave to the inevitable buyout.

Draft saved Draft deleted