1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone else getting bombarded by angry parents?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FuturaBold, May 8, 2008.

1. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

It seems I'm getting an unusually high number of emails and phone calls lately from parents and coaches (of every school I cover, it seems) who are ticked because their hard-working girls and boys aren't getting the recognition they "deserve."

This is the first time in my three years here that I've gotten this many. And our sports section has never been larger and never had more color.

My friends at other papers seem to be experiencing the same thing -- track, JV softball, soccer, tennis. You name it, and people are pissed. :-[

Can't wait till summer!!

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Nope, never happened to me before.

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

They deserve nothing and, with that attitude, will get nothing.

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

We always a notice a rise in complaints at the end of the seasons. People are generally pissed at the end of the year, especially if their teams have had disappointing years or they're unhappy with the coach or whatever.

I'm sure we'll be getting more in the next couple of weeks. We've lost a lot of games to the weather this spring, so that means we haven't been able to cover nearly as much as we usually do.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I haven't. I was out of the office.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It usually picks up as seasons winds down and playoffs are about to start and Junior hasn't been in the paper yet. Especially spring as there are more sports going on -- especially sports papers don't normally cover.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Prep spring sports season.

(sigh)

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

That pretty well sums it up.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I was always proud of my work with preps and the fact I didn't mind working with them at any stage of my career, but I have to admit, in a Sunbelt state, there were few, if any, more pain-in-the-ass times in my life than the crossover between winter and (early) spring sports. Basketball/wresting/soccer crossing over with track and field, softball, baseball.

10. patchs

patchs Active Member

Can't we just have a running POed parent call thread?
    I dare anyone to find a SE who hasn't dealt with an angry parent?

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Never been larger?? THEN WHY NOT ROOM FOR MY KID!! I want my kid in the huge new section in color!!

12. This is an honest question, even though I guess I know the answer:

Are people honestly not capable of taking a step back and realizing that their kid being recognized in the local rag for batting .300 might not really be all that important?

Why do parents care so much?

Do they not realize they are being overbearing helicopter parent pains in the ass?

Draft saved Draft deleted